BRISTOL, Conn. — Stanford star Nnemkadi Ogwumike was selected with the No. 1 pick in the WNBA draft by the Los Angeles Sparks on Monday.
Ogwumike helped guide the Cardinal to the Final Four during all four of her seasons at the school, including this year's loss to eventual champion Baylor. The 6-foot-2 forward averaged 22.5 points and 10.2 rebounds this past season.
The Sparks finished with the fourth worst record in the league at 15-19 but won the draft lottery in November. Los Angeles also had the top pick in 2008 and selected Tennessee star Candace Parker, who went on to win Rookie of the Year and MVP honors in her first season.
The WNBA season begins May 18, with training camps opening April 29.
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 79
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 62
- Bruins bruise Utes in 69-59 upset 40
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 35
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35