Much has been said about adding chemically treated meat byproducts called pink slime to hamburger, but a much more insidious contamination is becoming universal in all of our food.
In 2010 the USDA shows that 86 percent of corn, 90 percent of soybeans as well as increasing amounts of peppers, squash, flax, sugar cane and many other food crops are all grown using genetically modified, or GM, seed. Research of the detrimental health effects of these foods is systematically suppressed.
However, as the truth of heavy handed tactics by such giants as Monsanto, Bayer and Syngenta are known, it is met with public outcry. Many countries are requiring disclosure of GM ingredients in processed food. Other countries have outright banned GM goods. In the U.S., as much as 60 percent of our processed food is contaminated with GM, and no label is required.
Even worse, many of these crops openly spread the GM infected pollen which threatens the entire genome and all of our food because pollens can travel miles to contaminate even organic crops. This contamination is irreversible. This outrage can be stopped by letting our representatives know we want disclosure to our food.
Once disclosure and truth is circulated, GM will be forced out of our food — just like pink slime.
Jared F. Brown
- In our opinion: Scouting success will come...
- My view: Why moderates lost the caucus vote
- Lois M. Collins: Kids' summer 'bucket list'...
- Letters: No welfare, ever
- Top scandals and controversies of each United...
- In our opinion: Big screen exploitation of...
- Tolerance and the same-sex marriage debate
- Letters: Government, health care
- Letters: No welfare, ever 66
- Letter: The real death panel:... 30
- My view: Why moderates lost the caucus... 30
- Tolerance and the same-sex marriage debate 26
- In our opinion: Big screen exploitation... 25
- Matthew Sanders: Imploding trust in... 20
- Charles Krauthammer: Americans deserve... 17
- Michael Gerson: As government's... 15