Slain N.H. police chief died doing what he lived for
he had a final drug bust planned before retiring
GREENLAND, N.H. — Greenland Police Chief Michael Maloney had a final drug bust planned before retiring from the small-town New Hampshire department after more than a quarter-century in law enforcement.
Trying to rid a neighborhood of its menace just days before retirement proved to be the 48-year-old chief's final act.
"He died trying to make our community safer," said John Penacho, chairman of the town's Board of Selectman.
Maloney was trying to serve a search warrant Thursday night when a suspect opened fire, killing the chief, injuring four officers from other departments, and plunging the southeastern New Hampshire community of Greenland into a grief that residents say they won't soon get over.
After a tense overnight standoff, the suspected gunman, Cullen Mutrie, and a female acquaintance were found dead in the home early Friday in an apparent murder-suicide or double suicide.
The chief's death rocked a seven-member force more accustomed to reports of burglar alarms and barking dogs than violent crime. Maloney was liked, respected and less than two weeks from retirement.
"In those final days, he sacrificed his life in public service," said Attorney General Michael Delaney.
Police Sgt. Dawn Sawyer, who was one of the seven members of the force and had worked with Maloney for 19 years, thanked the community for its support as about 200 people, some hugging and crying gathered for a Friday evening candlelight vigil outside Town Hall.
- Saudi king says terrorists will reach Europe...
- Corvette Museum to completely fill in...
- Freelancers and millennials help usher in the...
- Six Ferguson officers face federal lawsuits...
- Intelligence nightmare: Extremists returning...
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh Hewitt...
- Obama to attend wedding of longtime personal...
- Mexico authorities stage midnight migrant raid
- A New York Times article said Michael... 44
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 36
- 10 things to know about corporate... 32
- For the first time in American history,... 30
- Obama tamps down prospect of strikes in... 16
- Why the poverty cycle is harder to... 15
- Winning plaintiffs in 3 states want... 14
- 3 ways insurers can still avoid... 13