Slain N.H. police chief died doing what he lived for
he had a final drug bust planned before retiring
GREENLAND, N.H. — Greenland Police Chief Michael Maloney had a final drug bust planned before retiring from the small-town New Hampshire department after more than a quarter-century in law enforcement.
Trying to rid a neighborhood of its menace just days before retirement proved to be the 48-year-old chief's final act.
"He died trying to make our community safer," said John Penacho, chairman of the town's Board of Selectman.
Maloney was trying to serve a search warrant Thursday night when a suspect opened fire, killing the chief, injuring four officers from other departments, and plunging the southeastern New Hampshire community of Greenland into a grief that residents say they won't soon get over.
After a tense overnight standoff, the suspected gunman, Cullen Mutrie, and a female acquaintance were found dead in the home early Friday in an apparent murder-suicide or double suicide.
The chief's death rocked a seven-member force more accustomed to reports of burglar alarms and barking dogs than violent crime. Maloney was liked, respected and less than two weeks from retirement.
"In those final days, he sacrificed his life in public service," said Attorney General Michael Delaney.
Police Sgt. Dawn Sawyer, who was one of the seven members of the force and had worked with Maloney for 19 years, thanked the community for its support as about 200 people, some hugging and crying gathered for a Friday evening candlelight vigil outside Town Hall.
- Former GOP nominee Romney will not run for...
- Top Catholics and evangelicals: Gay marriage...
- List: 10 Super Bowl ads you'll be talking about
- Mitt Romney to update supporters on 2016...
- Worker who saw victim's body testifies at...
- After 150 years, Confederate submarine's hull...
- The Force is strong with this one: Panel with...
- First lady defends 'American Sniper' at...
- Former GOP nominee Romney will not run... 71
- Top Catholics and evangelicals: Gay... 52
- Mitt Romney courts middle class, jabs... 40
- Victim of sexual abuse sues Boy Scouts... 20
- Attorney General nominee picks up... 14
- Denver police shoot, kill teen who... 13
- Some Republican presidential hopefuls... 12
- House GOP moves toward possible lawsuit... 11