OGDEN — Don't let the final score fool you — it was Weber State's defense that made most of the highight-reel plays in the Wildcats' annual Purple and White spring football game staged Saturday at WSU's Stewart Stadium.
Sure, the scoreboard somehow showed a final score of 30-0 in favor of the White (offensive) team, but it was the Wildcats' Purple-clad defensive squad that did most of the damage during the approximately 110-play scrimmage, which was delayed by 20 minutes at the start due to lightning.
Redshirt freshman linebacker Roman Valenzuela picked off two of four interceptions recorded by the defense.
"Coaches just had us in our base defense and let us play ball," said Valenzuela, a former Bingham High School standout. "We were just flying around, having fun, and we made plays.
"Our D-line is awesome. They got a lot of pressure on them; they were making plays behind the line of scrimmage. ... It makes it a lot easier for the rest of the defense to click when we're all out there having fun."
Another redshirt freshman, cornerback Devonte Johnson, had a 25-yard interception return, and senior cornerback David James returned a pick 45 yards.
"From a defensive standpoint, I saw a lot of positive things," first-year WSU head coach John L. Smith said. "The defense kind of controlled it tonight.
"We all have to look in the mirror and we all have to get better. We did some stupid things tonight like penalties that are not going to be allowed. We have to look at that and learn from that and not let it happen again."
Offensively, C.J. Tuckett had 95 yards rushing on 11 carries, including a 55-yard burst, and Josh Booker added 89 yards and a touchdown on 15 carries.
"We got a lot accomplished (this spring), but we have a long way to go," Smith said.
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars'...
- No. 18 BYU preparing for two Utah State...
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week, moves up...
- Things won't get any easier for disappointed...
- Ranking the best point guards in the NBA...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead, game to...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 280
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 90
- Things won't get any easier for... 66
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 51
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 37
- Dick Harmon: How will Utes slow down... 31
- Report: BYU, South Florida schedule... 21