OGDEN — Don't let the final score fool you — it was Weber State's defense that made most of the highight-reel plays in the Wildcats' annual Purple and White spring football game staged Saturday at WSU's Stewart Stadium.
Sure, the scoreboard somehow showed a final score of 30-0 in favor of the White (offensive) team, but it was the Wildcats' Purple-clad defensive squad that did most of the damage during the approximately 110-play scrimmage, which was delayed by 20 minutes at the start due to lightning.
Redshirt freshman linebacker Roman Valenzuela picked off two of four interceptions recorded by the defense.
"Coaches just had us in our base defense and let us play ball," said Valenzuela, a former Bingham High School standout. "We were just flying around, having fun, and we made plays.
"Our D-line is awesome. They got a lot of pressure on them; they were making plays behind the line of scrimmage. ... It makes it a lot easier for the rest of the defense to click when we're all out there having fun."
Another redshirt freshman, cornerback Devonte Johnson, had a 25-yard interception return, and senior cornerback David James returned a pick 45 yards.
"From a defensive standpoint, I saw a lot of positive things," first-year WSU head coach John L. Smith said. "The defense kind of controlled it tonight.
"We all have to look in the mirror and we all have to get better. We did some stupid things tonight like penalties that are not going to be allowed. We have to look at that and learn from that and not let it happen again."
Offensively, C.J. Tuckett had 95 yards rushing on 11 carries, including a 55-yard burst, and Josh Booker added 89 yards and a touchdown on 15 carries.
"We got a lot accomplished (this spring), but we have a long way to go," Smith said.
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks about...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings University of...
- Morning links: Steve Young quotes Joseph...
- Brad Rock: GameDay is quite the day in Utah
- BYU vs. East Carolina: How to attend, watch,...
- BYU football: East Carolina in 6 numbers
- High school football roundup for Friday, Oct. 9
- Tanner Mangum's on-the-job training continues...
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 54
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 46
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks... 41
- Utah Utes football: The California... 30
- Utes back in the college football... 27
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings... 27
- BYU coaches continue helping players... 22
- Underrated East Carolina will test... 20