WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama is calling on Republican Mitt Romney to release his past tax returns. Obama says it's important for candidates to be "as transparent as possible."
Obama tells Univision that candidates should "let people know who we are" and "what we stand for."
The president says the act of releasing tax returns is "just carrying on a tradition that has existed throughout the modern presidency."
Obama has released tax returns for last year, showing that he paid more than $160,000 in federal taxes on nearly $790,000 in income. Obama's campaign has released tax information going back to 2000 and pressured Romney to release past records.
Romney's campaign projects he will pay $6.2 million in taxes on $45 million in income in 2010 and 2011.
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh Hewitt...
- University of Phoenix founder dies, leaving...
- 10 things to know about corporate inversions
- A New York Times article said Michael Brown...
- It's about time the government recognize the...
- Is James Foley a martyr? A brutal death...
- UN: Ebola cases could eventually reach 20,000
- Bound bodies of 2 found in Philly river; 3rd...
- A New York Times article said Michael... 41
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 33
- For the first time in American history,... 30
- 10 things to know about corporate... 26
- Doug Robinson: When did Missouri turn... 24
- Obama back at White House after summer... 17
- Why the poverty cycle is harder to... 15
- Winning plaintiffs in 3 states want... 14