Trisha Beck in her My View, "No need for nuclear testing any longer" (April 11), spoke to the two critical reasons the United States should ratify the Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty and why it has significant value for the residents of Utah and the country.
Nuclear testing has left a tragic and still to be finished legacy on the residents downwind. It also allows the endless quest for new and deadlier and more usable nuclear weapons. Only the ratification and entry into force of a test ban can bring an end to those threats to our health and safety. In addition ratification by the United States would give our country the highest moral position to demand no new nations test and join the nuclear weapons club.
Otherwise we preach from a do as we say not as we do position, making a mockery of efforts to halt proliferation.
Malad City, Idaho
- Disputes over specialized license plates...
- My view: Chaffetz named ‘politician of...
- Mike Lee: Change is coming to Washington
- Jay Evensen: Cuba not likely to change...
- Susan Roylance: Definition of the family put...
- Jay Evensen: Should Utah raise its gas tax?...
- My view: Torture, morality and the laws of war
- Letter: Bring the prison here
- Charles Krauthammer: Democrats use... 78
- In our opinion: Police training should... 45
- Mike Lee: Change is coming to Washington 43
- In our opinion: Wood burning ban... 37
- Robert Bennett: More political... 36
- Letter: Patriots or serfs? 33
- Paul Mero: Reasonable solution to... 30
- Susan Roylance: Definition of the... 30