Trisha Beck in her My View, "No need for nuclear testing any longer" (April 11), spoke to the two critical reasons the United States should ratify the Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty and why it has significant value for the residents of Utah and the country.
Nuclear testing has left a tragic and still to be finished legacy on the residents downwind. It also allows the endless quest for new and deadlier and more usable nuclear weapons. Only the ratification and entry into force of a test ban can bring an end to those threats to our health and safety. In addition ratification by the United States would give our country the highest moral position to demand no new nations test and join the nuclear weapons club.
Otherwise we preach from a do as we say not as we do position, making a mockery of efforts to halt proliferation.
Malad City, Idaho
- Jay Evensen: Birthright citizenship —...
- In our opinion: Trump's all-inclusive...
- Dan Liljenquist: Charter schools provide...
- My view: Don’t expand Medicaid with a...
- My view: Women’s equality — 95...
- Letter: Appalling attitude
- Letter: 20th-century achievements
- Richard Davis: What can Republicans do with...
- Letter: Appalling attitude 84
- George F. Will: Immigration-related... 57
- Letter: Big money in politics 44
- In our opinion: Security with Clinton's... 43
- Richard Davis: What can Republicans do... 39
- In our opinion: Trump's all-inclusive... 38
- My view: Don’t expand Medicaid... 36
- My view: No matter who pays the bill,... 34