Trisha Beck in her My View, "No need for nuclear testing any longer" (April 11), spoke to the two critical reasons the United States should ratify the Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty and why it has significant value for the residents of Utah and the country.
Nuclear testing has left a tragic and still to be finished legacy on the residents downwind. It also allows the endless quest for new and deadlier and more usable nuclear weapons. Only the ratification and entry into force of a test ban can bring an end to those threats to our health and safety. In addition ratification by the United States would give our country the highest moral position to demand no new nations test and join the nuclear weapons club.
Otherwise we preach from a do as we say not as we do position, making a mockery of efforts to halt proliferation.
Malad City, Idaho
- Who said it: Reagan or Clinton?
- Doug Robinson: Making sense of retired...
- Jay Evensen: Forest Service photo rules are...
- Janna Darnelle: Redefining marriage hurts...
- 5 reasons Mitt Romney will probably run for...
- Letter: Sluggish global warming
- Letter: Campaign disservice
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: For my grandpa
- Janna Darnelle: Redefining marriage... 109
- 5 reasons Mitt Romney will probably run... 67
- John Hoffmire: Save capitalism by... 47
- In our opinion: Here's how the Obama... 41
- Drew Clark: Either view of marriage... 40
- Letter: Sluggish global warming 35
- Robert Bennett: Make climate... 30
- Letter: Enforcing the dress code 30