Although Romney's national campaign headquarters is in Boston, Republicans say they don't expect Romney to win, and perhaps not compete, in Massachusetts, a traditional Democratic stronghold.
In Wisconsin, conservatives are rallying around Gov. Scott Walker, who faces a June recall election after he signed legislation last year stripping public employee unions of most bargaining power. If Walker prevails, it could embolden Romney.
Bush competed in Minnesota and Pennsylvania in 2000 and 2004, only to have them tip Democrat in the closing weeks. Today, registered Democrats in Pennsylvania outnumber Republicans by nearly 1 million. But a downturn in the economy, or Romney catching fire elsewhere in the nation's economic heartland could tip both Republican.
Obama campaign aides have sent signals they will contest Arizona, arguing the Hispanic voter trend favors them. However, they and Romney aides say that tipping point is years away and that it remains a safe Republican state.
Likewise, Missouri has been decided by slim margins in the past three elections, but carried by Republicans in all three.
As in Arizona and even Georgia, where Obama's team has also made overtures, Missouri is considered GOP territory this year.
"The Romney campaign is going to make sure we have the resources to compete in states where Democrats throw a head fake," Romney's Madden said. "And I'm saying Missouri is not being targeted by the Democrats."
Associated Press writer Ken Thomas in Washington contributed to this report.
- Photo gallery: Tornado rips Oklahoma suburb
- Crews race to find survivors of Oklahoma...
- Journalists criticize Obama administration,...
- Top scandals and controversies of each United...
- Should we let wunderkinds drop out of high...
- Mile-wide tornado churns through Oklahoma...
- World War II munitions with mustard agent...
- Oklahoma, other tornado-hit states brace for...
- Mitt Romney talks IRS, AP records,... 65
- Journalists criticize Obama... 33
- Associated Press CEO calls records... 23
- White House insists Obama was not... 22
- House chairman sees IRS targeting as... 16
- Supreme Court to weigh in on... 15
- More Obama aides knew IRS targeted... 13
- Republicans try to link IRS scandal,... 12