Refusing to go quietly, Utah State scored two more on a two-run blast in the top of the fifth, cutting the lead back to 11-6, but BYU answered with another run in the bottom half.
After sophomore Katie Manuma drove in Willard, Toney ended the game early with a two-run blast in the bottom of the sixth inning, her fifth home run of the season, to give BYU the victory.
Cougar pitcher Tori Almond pitched a complete game shutout in the second game, striking out six to give the Cougars the 2-0 win.
Clayton went 2 for 3 with a run as BYU eked out two scores in the bottom of the third. With the bases loaded, Manuma hit a grounder and was out at first but got the RBI. After Toney walked to again load the bases, Arnold hit another grounder that was enough to score Clayton.
BYU will play Utah State in the third and final game of the weekend on Saturday at 1:30 p.m. MT. The game will be televised live on BYUtv. Check for changes and updates on game times in the case of inclement weather.
Henderson, NV — The 2nd ranked SLCC Bruin Softball team outscored Southern Nevada 24-0 in two five inning mercy rule wins. Salt Lake moves to 43-6 overall and 34-4 in conference play with the two wins over Southern Nevada.
In game one the Bruins mashed back-to-back-to-back home runs to open up the scoring. Brooke Budge started the home run rally followed by Malia Campos and Lauren Miller. Later Maddy Woodard added a two run home run to bring Salt Lake's total homeruns to four in the game. Meagan Neilson was 2 for 2 with two RBI.
In game two the Bruins continued the home run trend hitting five more over the fence. Woodard connected on two home runs to go 3 for 3 with four runs driven home while Starlee Hutching added two more home runs to the tally with three RBI's. Rachel Mike added the fifth with a solo shot. In the two game Salt Lake hit a total nine home runs.
Rangley, Colo. — The 7th ranked SLCC Baseball tea m completed the four game sweep over Colorado Northwestern winning 8-2 and 10-4. With the wins Salt Lake moves to 31-5 overall and 22-3 in conference play.
Rhett Parkinson and Bronson Anderson combined for the win with seven strikeouts in the game. Palmer Page was 2 for 3, Nathan Fishel went 2 for 3 and Dalton Gust was 2 for 4 in the win.
In the final game of the series Tanner Banks got the win in relief and Chris Conran went three innings with three strikeouts. Steven Adam was 2 for 4, Dominique Taylor was 2 for 5 with a double, Kennedy Kinkade was 2 for 4 and Dalton Gust went 2 for 4.
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU past...
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in the...
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in University...
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah State
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with Wagner...
- BYU focusing on bowl game while players'...
- Lone Peak guard Frank Jackson drops...
- Jazz center Rudy Gobert gets pushy with...
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 68
- BYU has something to prove, looking to... 60
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 51
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 50
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 37
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 31
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 30
- Ute football team has boots on the... 28