Mel Evans, Associated Press
Newark, N.J., Mayor Cory Booker insisted he wasn't a hero when he rescued a neighbor from the smoke-filled second-floor bedroom of her burning home as embers fell on both of them, leaving the woman seriously injured and him with a burned hand. He was just being a friend, he said — and besides, he was terrified.
Au contraire, said those who flocked to Twitter at (hash)corybookerstories Friday, competing to see who could capture the 6-foot-3 former college football player's toughness and heroism in the most entertaining fashion.
A sampling of the tweets:
Superman Wears 'Cory Booker' Pajamas.
Booker claims he was nowhere near the N. Korean long-range missile that broke apart after launch. I don't believe him.
Cory Booker isn't afraid of Friday the 13th. Friday the 13th is afraid of Cory Booker.
BREAKING NEWS: Cory Booker just found Carmen Sandiego.
Ghosts sit around the campfire and tell Cory Booker Stories.
You know the reason another Titanic never crashed? Cory Booker.
When Chuck Norris has nightmares, Cory Booker turns on the light & sits with him until he falls back.
al gore thought he invented the internet. until cory booker told him otherwise.
One time I needed a kidney. Cory Booker instantly ripped out his own, handed it to me & flew away.
Cory Booker takes his martini shaken, not stirred.
After the incident, Smoke was treated for Cory Booker exposure.
Cory Booker isn't bald, his hair is hiding from him.
Cory Booker goes into Freddy Kreuger's dreams and fixes Elm Street's potholes.
Sticking to his "I am not a hero" story, Booker's Twitter response focused on fire safety:
"Grateful to (hash)CoryBookerStories 4 bringing smiles. Fire safety, however, is a serious matter." He included a link to the U.S. Fire Administration.
- Prepackaged caramel apples linked to 4...
- Theater shooter's parents plead for his life,...
- Hackers warn not to release 'The Interview'...
- Forget Santa Claus, Virginia. Was there a...
- The Associated Press' top 10 movies of the year
- Canada man finds an Elizabeth Gallagher for...
- 'Is your job depressing?' Why it's a great...
- Obama says North Korea hacked Sony, vows...
- Obama: US re-establishing diplomatic... 49
- Vermont governor abandons single-payer... 32
- A post-election flurry: Obama tests his... 16
- Sony cancels 'The Interview' Dec. 25... 15
- Taliban assault on Pakistan school... 13
- Forget Santa Claus, Virginia. Was there... 13
- Utah football's Hackett, Orchard named... 11
- NYC premiere of Rogen film 'The... 8