Mel Evans, Associated Press
Newark, N.J., Mayor Cory Booker insisted he wasn't a hero when he rescued a neighbor from the smoke-filled second-floor bedroom of her burning home as embers fell on both of them, leaving the woman seriously injured and him with a burned hand. He was just being a friend, he said — and besides, he was terrified.
Au contraire, said those who flocked to Twitter at (hash)corybookerstories Friday, competing to see who could capture the 6-foot-3 former college football player's toughness and heroism in the most entertaining fashion.
A sampling of the tweets:
Superman Wears 'Cory Booker' Pajamas.
Booker claims he was nowhere near the N. Korean long-range missile that broke apart after launch. I don't believe him.
Cory Booker isn't afraid of Friday the 13th. Friday the 13th is afraid of Cory Booker.
BREAKING NEWS: Cory Booker just found Carmen Sandiego.
Ghosts sit around the campfire and tell Cory Booker Stories.
You know the reason another Titanic never crashed? Cory Booker.
When Chuck Norris has nightmares, Cory Booker turns on the light & sits with him until he falls back.
al gore thought he invented the internet. until cory booker told him otherwise.
One time I needed a kidney. Cory Booker instantly ripped out his own, handed it to me & flew away.
Cory Booker takes his martini shaken, not stirred.
After the incident, Smoke was treated for Cory Booker exposure.
Cory Booker isn't bald, his hair is hiding from him.
Cory Booker goes into Freddy Kreuger's dreams and fixes Elm Street's potholes.
Sticking to his "I am not a hero" story, Booker's Twitter response focused on fire safety:
"Grateful to (hash)CoryBookerStories 4 bringing smiles. Fire safety, however, is a serious matter." He included a link to the U.S. Fire Administration.
- FBI says it has surrounded last occupiers at...
- Seoul: N. Korean leader Kim had his military...
- Breakthrough: Scientists detect...
- Last occupiers of Oregon wildlife refuge...
- N. Korea orders military takeover of...
- Apple co-founder is bringing us an even...
- Fargo police say officer shot during standoff...
- But is she honest? Caring? Clinton grapples...
- Obama sends Congress record $4.1... 29
- Trump, Sanders victorious in New... 26
- FBI says it has surrounded last... 22
- Exit polls: Dems trust Sanders more... 20
- But is she honest? Caring? Clinton... 19
- Last occupiers of Oregon wildlife... 13
- Clinton seeks to cut into Sanders' New... 9
- Carly Fiorina ends 2016 Republican bid... 9