NEW YORK — The Kings' future in Sacramento is uncertain again.
A tentative deal for a new arena is falling apart, leaving open the possibility the team's owners could again try to move from California's capital.
The Maloof family has balked at terms of the deal that was reached last month, and though they say they want to remain in Sacramento, Mayor Kevin Johnson isn't so sure after meeting with them Friday and hearing their list of concerns he said hadn't previously been disclosed.
"It just feels like they were coming up with reasons of why not to do the deal," Johnson said.
Commissioner David Stern stressed the deal was "always nonbinding," and he supported the Maloofs' decision to say they were no longer comfortable with its terms.
"I think it's fair for the Maloofs to say they don't want to do that," Stern said during a news conference after two days of owners meetings. "If they had done it simpler, earlier or more directly, it could have saved a lot of angst and trouble."
The Kings nearly moved to Anaheim after last season before agreeing to stay this season while the city tried to put together a plan to replace Power Balance Pavilion.
The two sides reached a tentative deal last month to fund the estimated $391 million arena that would open for the 2015-16 season in the downtown Sacramento rail yards. The Sacramento City Council already passed its end of the deal, brokered by the league and tentatively agreed to by the Kings.
Kings owners Joe, Gavin and George Maloof had since taken issue with some of the terms — particularly environmental and pre-development costs. Under the agreement, the Kings and arena operator AEG each agreed to pay about $3.25 million in pre-development costs with the city paying the remaining $6.5 million.
The Maloofs made a presentation to owners Thursday, which they shared at a separate news conference Friday. They were meeting later in the day with Johnson, leaving Stern "hopeful about its outcome but not optimistic."
During their news conference, the Maloofs said they liked Sacramento but insisted the arena project was too expensive. George Maloof said they had given the city a list of their concerns that needed to be addressed before they could commit to such a major deal.
Maloof even floated the idea of renovating Power Balance Pavilion. Stern said he didn't know if that was possible, but Johnson said he wouldn't support the plan.
The Kings are scheduled to play at Power Balance Pavilion next season. Stern wouldn't speculate where they would play beyond that, and said if they sought to relocate, approval would be left to the relocation committee headed by Oklahoma City owner Clay Bennett.
- Copper Hills lives up to expectations with...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to assist...
- For Star Lotulelei, Super Bowl loss leaves...
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to Pacific,...
- Hood, Hayward help Jazz eclipse Suns for...
- Cougars regrouping, going back on the road...
- Rudy Gobert made Suns pay for fouling strategy
- Oregon overpowers Utes for 76-66 victory
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State,... 100
- Morning links: Grading the BYU, Utah... 83
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to... 61
- 5-star LDS linebacker prospect Mique... 33
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired... 33
- Brad Rock: Recruiting day puts Utes in... 29
- Defense, rebounding, big second half... 22
- Brad Rock: No BYU, but no regrets for... 22