Salt Lake Children's Choir
The Salt Lake Children's Choir has exhibited the vocal excellence of young performers for more than 30 years, and its spring concert promises to be no exception.
The concert, to be held on May 4 and 5, at 7:30 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church of Salt Lake City, will feature a combination of tradition and novelty.
According to Ralph B. Woodward, the choir's director, the concert will cover a broad chronological, geographical and cultural range as the choir's concerts have in the past. "However, this one will have something different — even for us — because the choir will present music from both Brazil and Portugal, and the audience will be able to differentiate between pronunciation and musical styles of these related but very different countries," he said.
In addition to the concert, the choir will also perform portions of its spring material during a recording for KBYU Classical 89's program, "Highway 89." The recording will eventually be streamed both locally and nationally.
The choir will also travel to Montana to participate in a collaborative performance of Gustav Mahler's Eight Symphony with the Helena Symphony Chorus, the Choral Arts Society of Utah and the Pocatello Camerata Singers on May 12.
Woodward founded the choir in 1979 and consists of boys and girls between the ages of 8 and 15 living in or near the Salt Lake Valley. He believes the choir provides the children with valuable intellectual, musical and cultural growth as they perform.
"In addition to furnishing beautiful and rewarding concert experiences for its audiences, the choir regularly demonstrates to its hearers — including its director — the remarkable capacity and potential of young people for doing good in the world," he said.
Tickets for the spring concert are $8 for general admission and $6 for students and can be purchased at the door or by calling 801-537-1412. Visit childrensing.com for additional information about the choir and its concerts.
- 60 things you might not know about your...
- 10 celebrity couples who have made marriage work
- Ron Perlman added to Salt Lake Comic Con...
- 10 things to know before going to Salt Lake...
- 13 ways Disney could use drones at its parks
- Getting ready for Salt Lake Comic Con:...
- Jim Bennett: The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge is...
- 10 books that you were forced to read in...
- Jim Bennett: The ALS Ice Bucket... 7
- Getting ready for Salt Lake Comic Con:... 4
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt wed privately... 3
- Fallon to lead honors as Leno wins top... 2
- Is 'Harry Potter' actually about mental... 2
- EA Sports puts Damian Lillard on the... 2
- Linda & Richard Eyre: How media could... 2
- Miley Cyrus about VMA success: 'I'm in... 1