Jonathan Bachman, File, Associated Press
NEW ORLEANS — Saints quarterback Drew Brees says Joe Vitt was the "obvious choice" to take over as interim coach while Sean Payton spends the 2012 season serving a suspension for his role in the club's bounty system.
Vitt also was suspended for six games, but Brees says Vitt is one of the most respected coaches he has ever been around.
Brees told The Associated Press Friday Vitt's ability to lead the team in an uncertain time is undeniable in the Saints' locker room. The quarterback says he believes he speaks for the entire team in saying Vitt, who is the assistant head coach and linebackers coach, is the best choice.
The 57-year-old Vitt has worked in the NFL since 1979 and joined the Saints as part of Payton's first staff in 2006.
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans in...
- Utah football: Quarterback Kendal Thompson...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 107
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 32
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 21
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20