Jonathan Bachman, File, Associated Press
NEW ORLEANS — Saints quarterback Drew Brees says Joe Vitt was the "obvious choice" to take over as interim coach while Sean Payton spends the 2012 season serving a suspension for his role in the club's bounty system.
Vitt also was suspended for six games, but Brees says Vitt is one of the most respected coaches he has ever been around.
Brees told The Associated Press Friday Vitt's ability to lead the team in an uncertain time is undeniable in the Saints' locker room. The quarterback says he believes he speaks for the entire team in saying Vitt, who is the assistant head coach and linebackers coach, is the best choice.
The 57-year-old Vitt has worked in the NFL since 1979 and joined the Saints as part of Payton's first staff in 2006.
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- Brady Poppinga: Confronting an unlikely opponent
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl game brawl
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- Jazz rookie Dante Exum looks like a kid but...
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon State
- BYU's Tyler Haws' recovery from an ankle...
- Video: Former USU running back Robert...
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 172
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 114
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 55
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 52
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head... 45
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 45