SEATTLE—Two-out rallies by BYU in both games of Thursday's baseball doubleheader led to a Cougar sweep over Seattle University, 6-3 and 9-3.
BYU (16-12) took the lead in the four-game series and a 3-1 advantage with two games remaining with the Redhawks (15-14) in Seattle.
"Our offense banged out some clutch hits that were critical and put a damper on them," BYU coach Vance Law said. "When we have multiple, multiple-run innings, that is big."
Brugman helped increase that lead to 5-0 in the second when he followed Stephen Wells
In the eighth, BYU loaded the bases, but only scored one run off Andrew Law
The early runs gave confidence to BYU starting pitcher Chris Capper
Capper helped himself by closing the first-inning threat with a pickoff at first base. His battery-mate Guenther threw out a Redhawk trying to steal second in the second. Capper was relieved by Tyler Westensee
"We got good pitching performances by Capper, Howard, (Marc) Oslund, (David) Parry and (Adam) Miller," said Coach Law. "Capper was not as sharp as usual, but he continued to compete. Oslund pitched well to give us seven solid innings which was outstanding. We were happy to get Miller acclimated again."
In the nightcap, back-to-back doubles both down the right-field line by Kelton Caldwell
That lead was enough to secure the victory for BYU sophomore Marc Oslund
"We did not get batting practice because of the rain and tarped field, but the guys are playing hard and not giving up," said Coach Law. "Our at bats were very solid. Hall swung the bat well. We were glad to get Alex (Wolfe) behind the plate catching again."
Friday evening's game will be at 7 p.m. MT, at Cheney Stadium in Tacoma, before returning to Bannerwood Park for Saturday afternoon's finale.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes...
- BYU starting cornerbacks Jordan Johnson,...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very little
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 60
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 45