SEATTLE—Two-out rallies by BYU in both games of Thursday's baseball doubleheader led to a Cougar sweep over Seattle University, 6-3 and 9-3.
BYU (16-12) took the lead in the four-game series and a 3-1 advantage with two games remaining with the Redhawks (15-14) in Seattle.
"Our offense banged out some clutch hits that were critical and put a damper on them," BYU coach Vance Law said. "When we have multiple, multiple-run innings, that is big."
Brugman helped increase that lead to 5-0 in the second when he followed Stephen Wells
In the eighth, BYU loaded the bases, but only scored one run off Andrew Law
The early runs gave confidence to BYU starting pitcher Chris Capper
Capper helped himself by closing the first-inning threat with a pickoff at first base. His battery-mate Guenther threw out a Redhawk trying to steal second in the second. Capper was relieved by Tyler Westensee
"We got good pitching performances by Capper, Howard, (Marc) Oslund, (David) Parry and (Adam) Miller," said Coach Law. "Capper was not as sharp as usual, but he continued to compete. Oslund pitched well to give us seven solid innings which was outstanding. We were happy to get Miller acclimated again."
In the nightcap, back-to-back doubles both down the right-field line by Kelton Caldwell
That lead was enough to secure the victory for BYU sophomore Marc Oslund
"We did not get batting practice because of the rain and tarped field, but the guys are playing hard and not giving up," said Coach Law. "Our at bats were very solid. Hall swung the bat well. We were glad to get Alex (Wolfe) behind the plate catching again."
Friday evening's game will be at 7 p.m. MT, at Cheney Stadium in Tacoma, before returning to Bannerwood Park for Saturday afternoon's finale.
- MVP Jimmer Fredette puts on a show at the...
- Emery scores 31 as BYU crushes Santa Clara,...
- Dick Harmon: Unique perspectives from new...
- Former BYU, Davis High runner Jared Ward...
- Jimmer Fredette named D-League All-Star MVP,...
- On the cusp: Gordon Hayward playing like an...
- Brad Rock: Utah Jazz smart to avoid coaching...
- High school wrestling: Bear River captures...
- Emery scores career-high 37 points to... 73
- Rise and Shout: "Jeopardy!" contestants... 61
- 13 locals invited to 2016 NFL Scouting... 52
- Doug Robinson: Peyton Manning sells out... 45
- Dick Harmon: Time running out for Dave... 45
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share... 44
- Morning links: Kyle Van Noy, Eric... 38
- Utah Jazz: Analyzing 3 trade... 26