SEATTLE—Two-out rallies by BYU in both games of Thursday's baseball doubleheader led to a Cougar sweep over Seattle University, 6-3 and 9-3.
BYU (16-12) took the lead in the four-game series and a 3-1 advantage with two games remaining with the Redhawks (15-14) in Seattle.
"Our offense banged out some clutch hits that were critical and put a damper on them," BYU coach Vance Law said. "When we have multiple, multiple-run innings, that is big."
Brugman helped increase that lead to 5-0 in the second when he followed Stephen Wells
In the eighth, BYU loaded the bases, but only scored one run off Andrew Law
The early runs gave confidence to BYU starting pitcher Chris Capper
Capper helped himself by closing the first-inning threat with a pickoff at first base. His battery-mate Guenther threw out a Redhawk trying to steal second in the second. Capper was relieved by Tyler Westensee
"We got good pitching performances by Capper, Howard, (Marc) Oslund, (David) Parry and (Adam) Miller," said Coach Law. "Capper was not as sharp as usual, but he continued to compete. Oslund pitched well to give us seven solid innings which was outstanding. We were happy to get Miller acclimated again."
In the nightcap, back-to-back doubles both down the right-field line by Kelton Caldwell
That lead was enough to secure the victory for BYU sophomore Marc Oslund
"We did not get batting practice because of the rain and tarped field, but the guys are playing hard and not giving up," said Coach Law. "Our at bats were very solid. Hall swung the bat well. We were glad to get Alex (Wolfe) behind the plate catching again."
Friday evening's game will be at 7 p.m. MT, at Cheney Stadium in Tacoma, before returning to Bannerwood Park for Saturday afternoon's finale.
- Utah high schoolers who've reached the Super...
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight road...
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles West...
- Utah Utes still pursuing several big-time...
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke comes off...
- Former Utah Jazz guard Deron Williams had...
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to the...
- Utah defensive end Nate Orchard leads locals...
- Brad Rock: BYU asleep at the switch on... 98
- BYU, Michigan State agree to... 87
- Memphis to punish 12 players for role... 78
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 60
- Dick Harmon: BYU continuing new policy... 53
- Utah football: Utes add former BYU... 50
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 31
- Doug Robinson: NFL overtime rules need... 26