NEW YORK — Police say an armed bandit who held up a New York City pharmacy for prescription painkillers was shot and killed during a chaotic getaway.
The shooting happened at around 11 a.m. Thursday in East Harlem.
Pharmacist Frank Wong tells The Associated Press that a man brandishing a gun burst into the store demanding Oxycontin and Percocet.
A worker hit a silent alarm that summoned police.
The masked man was shot trying to flee. Investigators say he was shot by a retired officer who was pumping gas across the street when the gunfire started.
Police identified the dead man as Rudolph Wyatt, of Harlem. He was 23.
A second suspect was still being sought.
- Farm owners fined for refusing to host a...
- Twitter tries to block images of James Foley...
- Obama vows justice for killers of U.S....
- US diplomats barred from ice bucket challenge
- A tough label to chew on: What does...
- This week in history: The western Roman...
- Latest Ferguson protests are smaller, more...
- WHO: West Africa Ebola death toll rises to 1,350
- Farm owners fined for refusing to host... 96
- 'Don't know' if Missouri teen shot with... 25
- Police, protesters collide again in... 25
- Texas Gov. Perry assembles high-powered... 23
- Texas Gov. Perry says indictment is... 22
- Obama heading back to DC in rare... 21
- Obama vows justice for killers of U.S.... 20
- Allow student loan bankruptcies,... 15