NEW YORK — Police say an armed bandit who held up a New York City pharmacy for prescription painkillers was shot and killed during a chaotic getaway.
The shooting happened at around 11 a.m. Thursday in East Harlem.
Pharmacist Frank Wong tells The Associated Press that a man brandishing a gun burst into the store demanding Oxycontin and Percocet.
A worker hit a silent alarm that summoned police.
The masked man was shot trying to flee. Investigators say he was shot by a retired officer who was pumping gas across the street when the gunfire started.
Police identified the dead man as Rudolph Wyatt, of Harlem. He was 23.
A second suspect was still being sought.
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving door...
- Extended warranties a big sell. Are they...
- Scholarship lotteries, popular with everyone,...
- 'I am Adam Lanza's Mother' author Liza Long...
- Racing wildfire engulfs homes in California town
- Top 15 states for education
- Wearing this one thing can help boost a...
- President Obama: Ebola outbreak a threat to...
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 67
- US wealth gap putting the squeeze on... 26
- Obama 'confident' of Islamic State... 19
- Americans link violence with Muslims,... 13
- Utah's Gov. Gary Herbert eyes more... 11
- Chicago, NY, Hawaii on Obama library's... 10
- Can Obama wage war without consent of... 5
- Rare snowstorm slams Rockies states,... 5