NEW YORK — Police say an armed bandit who held up a New York City pharmacy for prescription painkillers was shot and killed during a chaotic getaway.
The shooting happened at around 11 a.m. Thursday in East Harlem.
Pharmacist Frank Wong tells The Associated Press that a man brandishing a gun burst into the store demanding Oxycontin and Percocet.
A worker hit a silent alarm that summoned police.
The masked man was shot trying to flee. Investigators say he was shot by a retired officer who was pumping gas across the street when the gunfire started.
Police identified the dead man as Rudolph Wyatt, of Harlem. He was 23.
A second suspect was still being sought.
- Former Speaker Boehner calls Cruz 'Lucifer in...
- North Korea sends another US citizen to prison
- Biden cites 'serious' progress toward...
- Cruz taps Fiorina to serve as running mate
- Airstrikes, shelling kill at least 60 in...
- How much did people spend on cars the year...
- High-speed rail board approves revised...
- Former House speaker sentenced to more than a...
- Thousands threaten to boycott Target... 68
- Former Speaker Boehner calls Cruz... 45
- Cruz taps Fiorina to serve as running mate 40
- Sen. Ted Cruz secures second Utah... 27
- New poll finds Americans less likely to... 23
- Illinois bills would limit mentally ill... 21
- Trump routs rivals in Northeast;... 21
- Former House speaker sentenced to more... 20