Utah Jazz: Millsap day-to-day after suffering sprained wrist
HOUSTON — The injury bug has its nasty teeth on the Utah Jazz roster yet again.
Forward Paul Millsap was not at practice this morning because he was getting his right wrist evaluated by a Houston doctor after injuring it in the second half of the Jazz's 103-91 win over the Rockets on Wednesday.
The diagnosis — a sprained wrist — leaves Millsap's status in question for Utah's game Friday's at New Orleans.
Millsap finished Wednesday's game with 21 points, second behind Gordon Hayward's season-high 29. He also had seven rebounds. The durable forward, who has a high pain tolerance, has only missed 13 games in his entire NBA career, including just one this season for a severely bruised heel.
Jazz coach Tyrone Corbin said Millsap "fell funny" but managed to play through the hurt to finish off the Jazz's big win. But pain became more intense after adrenaline from the game wore off.
"He's not one that looks for a way out. He must really hurt," Corbin said. "We just hope it's something temporary."
With Millsap absent, the Jazz don't even have enough healthy bodies to run a full five-on-five scrimmage. Only nine players are able to fully participate in practice this morning.
Utah was already down five players due to injuries, including Jeremy Evans (ankle), Earl Watson (upcoming knee surgery), C.J. Miles (calf), Josh Howard (knee) and Raja Bell (knee).
Evans is not able to practice again but said his still-swollen ankle is getting better.
The Jazz follow Friday's game in New Orleans with an another tough challenge in Memphis on Saturday night.
Utah (31-28) is 1 1/2 games out of a playoff spot behind Dallas, Houston and Denver, who are all knotted at 32-26.
- Morning links: BYU letting fans tailgate;...
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule difficult...
- Whittingham says Hatfield is still dismissed...
- Pac-12 media day: Utah Kyle Whittingham...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk (ahem,...
- ESPN highlights BYU basketball's roster...
- Doug Robinson: Weber State track coach isn't...
- Pac-12 notebook: Whittingham clarifies...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 101
- Morning links: Utah is on the rise in... 76
- Cougars say they have learned lessons... 70
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 52
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive... 50
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 41
- Morning links: Tom Hackett is the Utes'... 33
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32