Utah Jazz: Millsap day-to-day after suffering sprained wrist
HOUSTON — The injury bug has its nasty teeth on the Utah Jazz roster yet again.
Forward Paul Millsap was not at practice this morning because he was getting his right wrist evaluated by a Houston doctor after injuring it in the second half of the Jazz's 103-91 win over the Rockets on Wednesday.
The diagnosis — a sprained wrist — leaves Millsap's status in question for Utah's game Friday's at New Orleans.
Millsap finished Wednesday's game with 21 points, second behind Gordon Hayward's season-high 29. He also had seven rebounds. The durable forward, who has a high pain tolerance, has only missed 13 games in his entire NBA career, including just one this season for a severely bruised heel.
Jazz coach Tyrone Corbin said Millsap "fell funny" but managed to play through the hurt to finish off the Jazz's big win. But pain became more intense after adrenaline from the game wore off.
"He's not one that looks for a way out. He must really hurt," Corbin said. "We just hope it's something temporary."
With Millsap absent, the Jazz don't even have enough healthy bodies to run a full five-on-five scrimmage. Only nine players are able to fully participate in practice this morning.
Utah was already down five players due to injuries, including Jeremy Evans (ankle), Earl Watson (upcoming knee surgery), C.J. Miles (calf), Josh Howard (knee) and Raja Bell (knee).
Evans is not able to practice again but said his still-swollen ankle is getting better.
The Jazz follow Friday's game in New Orleans with an another tough challenge in Memphis on Saturday night.
Utah (31-28) is 1 1/2 games out of a playoff spot behind Dallas, Houston and Denver, who are all knotted at 32-26.
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- The 1990 NBA draft redone: See how a pair of...
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting niche
- Utahns in baseball: BYU alum Adam Law breaks...
- Prep sports: All-Sports awards feature 2...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback Austin...
- Amy Donaldson: It's easy for this working...
- Utah Jazz: Terry Rozier’s toughness...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 45
- Links: BYU gets a new commitment; Utes... 43
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 40
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders... 31
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 24
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on... 17
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 13
- Morning links: SI features Frank... 11