Against Lincecum, Gonzalez hit a high, outside pitch for an RBI triple to left-center and scored on Troy Tulowitzki's groundout in the first. In the second, he pulled a changeup to right for his second triple. He scored when Lincecum's second wild pitch bounced away from rookie catcher Hector Sanchez, whose throw to the pitcher covering the plate was wide.
Sanchez was starting in place of Buster Posey, who has shingles.
Ramon Hernandez's RBI single made it 6-0, and after Lincecum walked Chris Nelson to load the bases with one out and the pitcher coming up, Bochy brought in right-hander Daniel Otero, who got Guthrie to ground into an inning-ending double play.
Guthrie returned to the mound and suddenly couldn't locate his pitches properly, retiring just one of the next seven hitters.
After Melky Cabrera's RBI single and Pablo Sandoval's run-scoring double made it 6-4, Reynolds replaced Guthrie, walked his first hitter to load the bases and then surrendered a two-run single to Sanchez and a sacrifice fly to Schierholtz that gave the Giants the lead.
Gonzalez said the Rockies weren't worried.
"We got to Lincecum, who's a really good pitcher and when you see all those guys coming from the bullpen early in the game, you have a lot of opportunity there," Gonzalez said.
Sure enough, the Rockies regained the lead in the bottom half of the fourth on Gonzalez's run-scoring groundout, Tulowitzki's RBI single and Michael Cuddyer's RBI double off Mota that made it 9-7.
The Rockies scored seven times in the fifth to put this one out of reach as Matt Belisle threw a scoreless inning and Chatwood gave up one run on two hits in the final three lock-down innings. His only mistake was a fastball that Schierholtz hit for his second homer, leading off the seventh.
NOTES: The Rockies had eight doubles, three by Cuddyer, who tied his career high, and three triples but no homers. This is the most extra-base hits they've ever had in a game without a home run. ... Posey pinch-hit in the eighth, flying out to the track in right. ... Schierholtz's other two-homer game was last July 6 vs. San Diego.
- Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and intrigue...
- 24-team Euro 2016 a wacky success
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new...
- Carmelo Anthony among 10 set for US Olympic...
- Jazz snubbed: Agents block players from...
- AP Source: Pacers acquire Thad Young from Nets
- Rio Olympic organizers unveil village where...
- Agent: LeBron James to skip Rio Olympics
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 143
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 57
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 38
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 31
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 23
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 19
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 19
- Utah Jazz plan to be 'active' during... 16