CARSON, Calif. (AP) — The Los Angeles Galaxy have acquired defender David Junior Lopes from Chivas USA in a trade for midfielder Paolo Cardozo.
Southern California's two MLS clubs made the deal Tuesday.
The Galaxy hope to bolster their struggling defense with the addition of Lopes, a well-traveled Brazilian veteran who signed with Chivas last August and appeared in eight games. Lopes hasn't played for the Goats this season.
Cardozo was the Galaxy's first-round pick in the SuperDraft last year. He made regular appearances for Los Angeles last season, but has played in just one game this spring.
The Galaxy are the defending MLS champions and two-time winners of the Supporters' Shield, but they're off to a 1-3-0 start. They're in last place in the Western Conference despite their star-studded roster.
FIRE DEFENDER SIDELINED AFTER KNEE SURGERY: Chicago Fire defender Cory Gibbs will be sidelined for four to six months following surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his right knee.
The 32-year-old was injured Wednesday during training and was operated on Tuesday by Dr. Jason Koh at Glenbrook Hospital.
Gibbs says "the first couple days after hearing about the injury was basically another low point in my life."
Selected for the 2006 U.S. World Cup roster, he missed the tournament after injuring his right knee during an exhibition against Morocco.
"I've dealt with injuries in the past and have come back to perform at a high level," Gibbs said.
FC DALLAS PLAYER OUT 4-6 WEEKS: FC Dallas midfielder Andrew Wiedeman will be out 4-6 weeks after surgery to repair a sports hernia.
The team disclosed Monday's surgery on Tuesday and called it a successful procedure.
FC Dallas is off to a 2-2-1 start in the Major League Soccer season. It hosts Montreal on Saturday.
NEW ENGLAND MIDFIELDER SUSPENDED: New England midfielder Shalrie Joseph has been suspended for one game and fined for what Major League Soccer called a "reckless challenge that endangered the safety of his opponent."
Joseph was penalized Tuesday for his scissors tackle from behind of Dallas' Ricardo Villar last Thursday.
He will miss New England's game against D.C. United on Saturday.
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- Report: Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman to...
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 48
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 36
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 36
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26