College softball roundup: Utes drop doubleheader; Utah State slips past UVU
Utah State looked to close out UVU in the top of the seventh, but Jachim had other ideas as she hit a leadoff solo home run to start the inning. USU recorded the next two outs of the inning, putting it on the brink of its 12th win of the season, yet once again the Wolverines had other ideas and rallied to load the bases. Reigning Pacific Coast Softball Conference Player of the Week Amanda Robinson kept the inning alive with a walk. Deianna Russell then roped a pinch-hit single and Jessica Uresti was hit by a pitch in the next at-bat to load the bases. The two-out rally would end there, though, as Aggie pitcher Mandy Harmon kept her poise and got Marie Williams to pop out to Miller to end the game.
Harmon picked up her sixth win of the season, improving to 6-13 on the year.
The Aggies will have a short turnaround as they prepare to play a doubleheader this afternoon against another in-state foe, Weber State. First pitch for the opening game is set to be delivered from the circle at 2 p.m. MT. Admission to the games is free and open to the public.
UVU falls to 0-2 on the year against in-state rival Utah State, as the Wolverines dropped the home leg 3-1 in nine innings on April 3. In that game, USU pitcher Dani Chaplin struck out 11 UVU batters, but the Wolverines had greater success against the righty in this contest, tagging her with five earned runs.
Megan Peay (5-2), who started the game, was saddled with the loss for UVU.
Utah Valley returns to action today, remaining on the road for a 6 p.m. contest at BYU. The meeting is the first of three between the Wolverines and Cougars, as the two schools recently agreed to add a game on May 1. UVU returns to league-play on Friday, April 14, when it begins a four-game series at Seattle.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Utah football: Quarterback Kendal Thompson...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 112
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 36
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 29
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 22
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans... 19