Designated hitter Alex Wolfe of BYU has named the Player of the Week by the West Coast Conference.
Wolfe, a senior co-captain from Orem, hit .500 for the week (7-for-14), driving in four and scoring four runs as the Cougars won three of four games. He has a current four-game hitting streak.
Wolfe drove home the game-winning run in BYU's 8-6 victory on Saturday over Loyola Marymount to clinch the series. On Tuesday at Utah, he was 2-for-4 with an RBI double in the ninth inning off the wall in a 9-6 victory at Utah.
UTES END HOMESTAND VS. UVU: The Utah baseball team closes out its nine-game home stand on Tuesday against Utah Valley, in Spring Mobile Ballpark at 6 p.m. The Utes won one of three from fourth-ranked Arizona during last weekend's conference matchup. After falling in Game 1, 11-2, the Utes rallied in the late innings to win Game 2, 7-6. In Game 3, Utah overcame a 7-0 deficit to tie the game at 7-7 in the fifth inning before falling 11-7. Utah Valley (17-11) is on a 10-game winning streak after sweeping North Dakota over the weekend. Included in that stretch is a 5-4 victory over Arizona.
SUU'S HEADLEY WINS AWARD: Southern Utah Outfielder David Headley captured his first career Player of the Week honor after helping Southern Utah to a league series road win at Western Illinois. In five games last week, Headley batted .438 (7-for-16) with seven RBIs, six runs scored, two homers, a double and a triple. He added one walk and had a slugging percentage of 1.000 and on-base percentage of .471.
UVU SWEEPS WEEKLY HONORS: Utah Valley's Goose Kallunki and Jeremy Gendlek were honored as the Great West Conference Baseball Players of the Week after leading the Wolverines to an upset of No. 4 Arizona and a four-game sweep of GWC foe North Dakota. The honors were announced Monday by the conference office. Kallunki, a senior from Orem, went 10-for-19 (.526) with a 1.053 slugging percentage and a .591 on-base percentage last week. Gendlek, a senior from Olympia, Wash., scattered four hits in seven solid innings against Arizona as the Wolverines won their second game this season over a ranked school.
UTES FACE RANKED TEAMS: A busy, six-game slate against Pac-12 Conference programs ranked among the top 20 in the nation highlights the Utah softball team's upcoming week. The Utes travel to Tucson, Ariz., for a midweek three-game set at No. 16 Arizona, starting with a doubleheader on Tuesday at 5 p.m. MT, followed by a single game on Wednesday at noon. Utah hosts 17th-ranked Oregon this weekend at Ute Field. The three-game set starts Friday at 4 p.m. MT. Saturday's game will begin at 4 p.m. MT and the finale will be played Sunday at noon.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Utah football: Quarterback Kendal Thompson...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 112
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 36
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 29
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 22
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans... 19