Designated hitter Alex Wolfe of BYU has named the Player of the Week by the West Coast Conference.
Wolfe, a senior co-captain from Orem, hit .500 for the week (7-for-14), driving in four and scoring four runs as the Cougars won three of four games. He has a current four-game hitting streak.
Wolfe drove home the game-winning run in BYU's 8-6 victory on Saturday over Loyola Marymount to clinch the series. On Tuesday at Utah, he was 2-for-4 with an RBI double in the ninth inning off the wall in a 9-6 victory at Utah.
UTES END HOMESTAND VS. UVU: The Utah baseball team closes out its nine-game home stand on Tuesday against Utah Valley, in Spring Mobile Ballpark at 6 p.m. The Utes won one of three from fourth-ranked Arizona during last weekend's conference matchup. After falling in Game 1, 11-2, the Utes rallied in the late innings to win Game 2, 7-6. In Game 3, Utah overcame a 7-0 deficit to tie the game at 7-7 in the fifth inning before falling 11-7. Utah Valley (17-11) is on a 10-game winning streak after sweeping North Dakota over the weekend. Included in that stretch is a 5-4 victory over Arizona.
SUU'S HEADLEY WINS AWARD: Southern Utah Outfielder David Headley captured his first career Player of the Week honor after helping Southern Utah to a league series road win at Western Illinois. In five games last week, Headley batted .438 (7-for-16) with seven RBIs, six runs scored, two homers, a double and a triple. He added one walk and had a slugging percentage of 1.000 and on-base percentage of .471.
UVU SWEEPS WEEKLY HONORS: Utah Valley's Goose Kallunki and Jeremy Gendlek were honored as the Great West Conference Baseball Players of the Week after leading the Wolverines to an upset of No. 4 Arizona and a four-game sweep of GWC foe North Dakota. The honors were announced Monday by the conference office. Kallunki, a senior from Orem, went 10-for-19 (.526) with a 1.053 slugging percentage and a .591 on-base percentage last week. Gendlek, a senior from Olympia, Wash., scattered four hits in seven solid innings against Arizona as the Wolverines won their second game this season over a ranked school.
UTES FACE RANKED TEAMS: A busy, six-game slate against Pac-12 Conference programs ranked among the top 20 in the nation highlights the Utah softball team's upcoming week. The Utes travel to Tucson, Ariz., for a midweek three-game set at No. 16 Arizona, starting with a doubleheader on Tuesday at 5 p.m. MT, followed by a single game on Wednesday at noon. Utah hosts 17th-ranked Oregon this weekend at Ute Field. The three-game set starts Friday at 4 p.m. MT. Saturday's game will begin at 4 p.m. MT and the finale will be played Sunday at noon.
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in the...
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU past...
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah State
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with Wagner...
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in University...
- Utah Jazz pick up rare road win against Miami...
- Jazz center Rudy Gobert gets pushy with...
- BYU focusing on bowl game while players'...
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 68
- BYU has something to prove, looking to... 60
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 51
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 50
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 37
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 31
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 30
- Ute football team has boots on the... 28