Scott G. Winterton, Deseret News
If the caucus system is truly representative, then Sen. Orrin Hatch will make it through the nominating process at the convention. As expressed at the caucus meetings, most Utahns want the right to vote for or against him personally.
Should Hatch not survive the convention, then it will probably spell the demise of the caucus system. Utahns will be outraged, as they were when the far right ousted Bob Bennett at the convention two years ago.
High attendance at this year's caucuses can be attributed to that outrage as much as to anything else.
- A beleaguered family — 12 in 4...
- John Florez: The people's voices don't count
- In our opinion: Keep marriage questions
- In our opinion: Six heroes for our values in...
- Letter: Distance from religion
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Our year-end...
- In our opinion: Police vs. protests — a...
- Drew Clark: Ebola, cybersecurity and...
- Letter: Access to health care 42
- John Florez: The people's voices don't... 34
- In our opinion: Police vs. protests... 31
- Letter: Distance from religion 26
- Letter: Sharing culpability 22
- In our opinion: Keep marriage questions 16
- A. Scott Anderson: Peace on earth comes... 15
- Prisons bring much positive change 13