Scott G. Winterton, Deseret News
If the caucus system is truly representative, then Sen. Orrin Hatch will make it through the nominating process at the convention. As expressed at the caucus meetings, most Utahns want the right to vote for or against him personally.
Should Hatch not survive the convention, then it will probably spell the demise of the caucus system. Utahns will be outraged, as they were when the far right ousted Bob Bennett at the convention two years ago.
High attendance at this year's caucuses can be attributed to that outrage as much as to anything else.
- Jay Evensen: Why the pioneers give us hope today
- George F. Will: GOP minds are at sea —...
- Dan Liljenquist: My theory regarding Melania...
- My view: Racism, gun violence and the heavy...
- In our opinion: An unsatisfying resolution to...
- Letter: Lead on Social Security
- Letter: Delegates are dividing
- Letter: Let feds take over