Scott G. Winterton, Deseret News
If the caucus system is truly representative, then Sen. Orrin Hatch will make it through the nominating process at the convention. As expressed at the caucus meetings, most Utahns want the right to vote for or against him personally.
Should Hatch not survive the convention, then it will probably spell the demise of the caucus system. Utahns will be outraged, as they were when the far right ousted Bob Bennett at the convention two years ago.
High attendance at this year's caucuses can be attributed to that outrage as much as to anything else.
- 5 reasons Mitt Romney will probably run for...
- Janna Darnell: Redefining marriage hurts...
- In our opinion: Here's how the Obama...
- John Hoffmire: How to save capitalism
- Robert Bennett: Make climate conversations...
- My view: Don't make women optional in marriage
- Letter: Dance dress code
- Drew Clark: Either view of marriage debate...
- My view: Don't make women optional in... 102
- Janna Darnell: Redefining marriage... 81
- 5 reasons Mitt Romney will probably run... 62
- In our opinion: Religion in public life... 53
- Letter: Lateralist logic 40
- Join the discussion: How libertarian is... 36
- John Hoffmire: How to save capitalism 36
- In our opinion: Here's how the Obama... 35