Marcio Sanchez, File, Associated Press
NEW YORK — A 40-year-old Canadian actress has been arrested on charges of stalking "30 Rock" star Alec Baldwin, police said.
Genevieve Sabourin was awaiting a Manhattan court appearance Monday, a day after she was arrested on charges of stalking and aggravated harassment when Baldwin filed a complaint with police.
"As everyone knows, stalking is a serious issue, so we've turned this matter over to the New York Police Department," said Baldwin's publicist, Matthew Hiltzik.
On April 5, Sabourin showed up at the Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts, where Baldwin was hosting a screening of "Last Tango in Paris," and had to be removed by security, police said.
She was also believed to have turned up unannounced at his home on New York's Long Island on March 31, and went to his address in New York City, in Greenwich Village, while Baldwin was not there.
The two met a decade ago on the set of "The Adventures of Pluto Nash," where he had a cameo and she was a publicist.
According to authorities, the 54-year-old Baldwin told police that the woman had been sending him emails for several weeks, and the notes were disturbing. She professed love for him, begging to have his children and telling him to leave his wife, he said, according to police.
Baldwin recently became engaged to his 28-year-old girlfriend, Hilaria Thomas, a yoga instructor. Baldwin previously was married to actress Kim Basinger. They have a daughter together named Ireland. He published a book in 2008 called "A Promise to Ourselves" about his personal experience dealing with divorce and his fight with Basinger over custody of their daughter.
Sabourin is a resident of Quebec. There was no answer to phone calls made at an address believed to be hers in a suburb outside Montreal.
She has acted in both television and film.
- 50 things you might not know about 15 of your...
- Switched at birth, man raised in poverty...
- Former South African President Nelson Mandela...
- 1 child dead in Idaho elementary school bus...
- Court: Mormon church, members not liable in...
- Saving Africa? New book casts harsh light on...
- Obama: Income inequality a defining challenge
- Disgraced priest to wed pope adviser's daughter
- Obama: Income inequality a defining... 98
- Croatians vote against same-sex marriage 50
- Court: Mormon church, members not... 34
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's... 30
- Colorado court hears discrimination... 28
- Fast food outlets planning strike for... 25
- Fast-food strikes return amid push for... 24
- Research: Native American genes have... 23