NEW YORK — Knicks guard Jeremy Lin said Sunday he feels "pretty good" after knee surgery but doesn't think he could make it back for the first round of the playoffs.
"I think unless something goes really well, I wouldn't get there," Lin said before the Knicks played the Chicago Bulls.
Lin had surgery Monday to repair torn cartilage in his left knee. The Knicks have said the expected recovery time is about six weeks.
The playoffs begin April 28. The Knicks, also playing without the injured Amare Stoudemire, went into Sunday's game holding the eighth and final spot in the Eastern Conference. Lin won't rule out a return if the Knicks can advance in the postseason.
"It depends on how far and how long it goes," Lin said. "But obviously I want to get to 100 percent and then come back, hopefully see what I can do. By then it'll be a different team identity, chemistry, so it gets tricky, too. Yeah, I'm doing everything, we're doing everything we can to get back as soon as possible."
The point guard said he is working out on a bike and hopes to start running late next week.
Lin became the Knicks' starter in February after he hardly seeing playing time. The undrafted Harvard product had a heavy workload in a compressed season, which may have contributed to his injury.
"I still may have gotten hurt. That's hard to say," Lin said. "I mean, I think obviously a condensed schedule can be harder on people's bodies. I don't know if that was the exact cause. I don't know if I would have still gotten hurt if it was a normal season. That's kind of hard to guess."
Lin said doctors found no more damage during the surgery, which he called minor.
Draft early entrees
Harrison Barnes, f, N. Carolina
J'Covan Brown, g, Texas
Moe Harkless, g-f, St. John's
John Henson, f, North Carolina
Meyers Leonard, c, Illinois
Damian Lillard, g, Weber St.
Kendall Marshall, g, N. Carolina
Fab Melo, c, Syracuse
Arnett Moultrie, f, Miss. St.
Austin Rivers, g, Duke
Terrence Ross, g, Washington
Renardo Sidney, f, Miss.St.
Jared Sullinger, f, Ohio State
Hollis Thompson, f, Georgetown
Dion Waiters, g, Syracuse
Maalik Wayns, g, Villanova
Royce White, f, Iowa State
Tony Wroten, g, Washington
BJ Young, g, Arkansas
Note: players can withdraw by April 10, provided they do not hire an agent.nbanotes
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- 5 things to watch for as BYU, Utah and USU...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- Randy Hollis: Utah's Perrins is one of the...
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule difficult...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 108
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 54
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive... 50
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 44
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- Whittingham dishes on stadium... 27
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 22
- Guard Elijah Bryant announces he is... 21