NEW YORK — Knicks guard Jeremy Lin said Sunday he feels "pretty good" after knee surgery but doesn't think he could make it back for the first round of the playoffs.
"I think unless something goes really well, I wouldn't get there," Lin said before the Knicks played the Chicago Bulls.
Lin had surgery Monday to repair torn cartilage in his left knee. The Knicks have said the expected recovery time is about six weeks.
The playoffs begin April 28. The Knicks, also playing without the injured Amare Stoudemire, went into Sunday's game holding the eighth and final spot in the Eastern Conference. Lin won't rule out a return if the Knicks can advance in the postseason.
"It depends on how far and how long it goes," Lin said. "But obviously I want to get to 100 percent and then come back, hopefully see what I can do. By then it'll be a different team identity, chemistry, so it gets tricky, too. Yeah, I'm doing everything, we're doing everything we can to get back as soon as possible."
The point guard said he is working out on a bike and hopes to start running late next week.
Lin became the Knicks' starter in February after he hardly seeing playing time. The undrafted Harvard product had a heavy workload in a compressed season, which may have contributed to his injury.
"I still may have gotten hurt. That's hard to say," Lin said. "I mean, I think obviously a condensed schedule can be harder on people's bodies. I don't know if that was the exact cause. I don't know if I would have still gotten hurt if it was a normal season. That's kind of hard to guess."
Lin said doctors found no more damage during the surgery, which he called minor.
Draft early entrees
Harrison Barnes, f, N. Carolina
J'Covan Brown, g, Texas
Moe Harkless, g-f, St. John's
John Henson, f, North Carolina
Meyers Leonard, c, Illinois
Damian Lillard, g, Weber St.
Kendall Marshall, g, N. Carolina
Fab Melo, c, Syracuse
Arnett Moultrie, f, Miss. St.
Austin Rivers, g, Duke
Terrence Ross, g, Washington
Renardo Sidney, f, Miss.St.
Jared Sullinger, f, Ohio State
Hollis Thompson, f, Georgetown
Dion Waiters, g, Syracuse
Maalik Wayns, g, Villanova
Royce White, f, Iowa State
Tony Wroten, g, Washington
BJ Young, g, Arkansas
Note: players can withdraw by April 10, provided they do not hire an agent.nbanotes
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Tanner Mangum is...
- Morning links: Examining Utah's bowl...
- For now, odds are '50-50' that BYU ends up in...
- MWC commissioner says it's probable BYU...
- Jimmer Fredette has BYU-esque performance in...
- After years of working and dreaming, BYU...
- Jazz lose 106-103 heartbreaker to the...
- About Utah: A big deal just got bigger
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best... 109
- College Football: Utah moves back into... 70
- Morning links: Examining Utah's bowl... 67
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell... 47
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's... 39
- BYU basketball: Collinsworth sets NCAA... 37
- For now, odds are '50-50' that BYU ends... 37
- Brad Rock: Utes need bowl win to avoid... 36