Mario Suriani, File, Associated Press
Some of the many memorable moments in Mike Wallace's career at "60 Minutes":
— Asking Iran's Ayatollah Khomeini in 1979 his reaction to being called "a lunatic" by Egyptian President Anwar Sadat.
— Challenging Russian President Vladimir Putin in 2005: "This isn't a real democracy, come on!"
— When late-night TV host Johnny Carson expressed sympathy for a newsmaker who was an alcoholic, Wallace asked: "It takes one to know one?"
— Airing a videotape in 1998 showing assisted suicide advocate Dr. Jack Kevorkian injecting a terminally ill patient with lethal drugs.
— Becoming the subject of a movie, "The Insider," after CBS cut an interview with tobacco company whistleblower Jeffrey Wigand from a 1995 story for fear of being sued. Months later, Wigand's interview was aired.
— Being sued by Vietnam-era Gen. William Westmoreland for libel after a 1982 documentary that alleged the general misled the American people. The lawsuit was withdrawn, but plunged Wallace into depression.
— Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad turned the tables on Wallace in a 2006 interview. "I hear this is your last interview," the president said. Replied Wallace: "What do you think? Is it a good idea to retire?" (
— Questions Barbra Streisand's many years of psychoanalysis: "What is she trying to find out that takes 20 years?"
— Almost anytime Wallace prefaced a query with, "Forgive me, but...," that's when you knew to expect a sharp shot to the gut.
- Rupert Murdoch vows Fox News without Ailes is...
- Fox needs to find a successor to man who...
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Trump takes time from victory lap to swat at...
- Warner Bros. calms fans with fun 'Justice...
- A title and ship for new 'Star Trek' series:...
- New artificial reef is sunk off Florida's...
- After disputes, Dem stars turn their... 14
- Rupert Murdoch vows Fox News without... 13
- Trump takes time from victory lap to... 13
- Erin Stewart: Should you teach your... 11
- Police: Munich suspect was obsessed... 5
- Germany: Syrian asylum seekers blows... 3
- Verizon buys Yahoo for $4.83B, marking... 3
- Fox needs to find a successor to man... 2