PA) UNITED KINGDOM OUT, AP Photo/Owen Humphreys
LONDON — Manchester United surged closer to a 20th English title on Sunday by beating Queens Park Rangers 2-0 before floundering neighbor Manchester City lost 1-0 at Arsenal.
Having spent most of the season in City's shadow in the Premier League, United is now eight points clear with six games remaining and on course to extend its title record.
Wayne Rooney and Paul Scholes scored for United at Old Trafford after QPR had Shaun Derry sent off in the 15th minute.
City striker Mario Balotelli escaped a red card after 10 minutes at Arsenal but was dismissed in the 90th after receiving a second booking for another lunge on Bacary Sagna.
Three minutes earlier, Mikel Arteta had curled the ball home to clinch Arsenal's win.
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- No. 21 BYU faces opportunistic, upset-minded...
- College football: Utes wrap up...
- Dick Harmon: Fredette family discusses...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- BYU's Arellano makes big impact in win over...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 108
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 72
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 65
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 34
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33