PA) UNITED KINGDOM OUT, AP Photo/Owen Humphreys
LONDON — Manchester United surged closer to a 20th English title on Sunday by beating Queens Park Rangers 2-0 before floundering neighbor Manchester City lost 1-0 at Arsenal.
Having spent most of the season in City's shadow in the Premier League, United is now eight points clear with six games remaining and on course to extend its title record.
Wayne Rooney and Paul Scholes scored for United at Old Trafford after QPR had Shaun Derry sent off in the 15th minute.
City striker Mario Balotelli escaped a red card after 10 minutes at Arsenal but was dismissed in the 90th after receiving a second booking for another lunge on Bacary Sagna.
Three minutes earlier, Mikel Arteta had curled the ball home to clinch Arsenal's win.
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 80
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 62
- Bruins bruise Utes in 69-59 upset 40
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball,... 34