Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Early advice for each party's presidential candidate
Pignanelli: "President Obama won the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize because the committee wanted to recognize the president's fine work in bringing peace to a black professor and a white cop through the strategic use of beer." — Jay Leno
Obama should set aside his academic experience (law professors usually just pontificate on legal philosophies) and return to his roots as a "community organizer." Despite the snarky comments, successful community organizers possess important abilities. Every day, they must wade into the problems of constituents, recruit support from the surrounding business community, deal with crime and law enforcement, establish a strategy to implement vision, mediate among turf-protecting staff and utilize entrepreneurial skills in marketing and public relations — all on a balanced budget.
As with Romney, Obama can be aloof. But Americans like the president as a person — he is a decent, dignified, supportive father and husband. He needs to ramp up his "community organizer" skills to strengthen his bond with the country, and show that his vision will resolve our fears.
Webb: You inherited a tough situation coming into office. Describe how things are modestly improving and what you will do in a second term to increase economic momentum. You have a difficult record to run on, so you will have to bash Republicans, big oil and rich people, and argue that things would be even worse with Republicans in charge.
Republican LaVarr Webb is a political consultant and lobbyist. Previously he was policy deputy to Gov. Mike Leavitt and Deseret News managing editor. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Democrat Frank Pignanelli is a Salt Lake attorney, lobbyist and political adviser. Pignanelli served 10 years in the Utah House of Representatives, six years as minority leader. His spouse, D'Arcy Dixon Pignanelli, is a state tax commissioner. Email: email@example.com.
- 5 reasons Mitt Romney will probably run for...
- Janna Darnelle: Redefining marriage hurts...
- Catherine Rampell: Reasons behind the bad...
- In our opinion: Here's how the Obama...
- John Hoffmire: Save capitalism by focusing on...
- My view: Don't make women optional in marriage
- In our opinion: Let FAA, not Utah...
- Letter: Dance dress code
- My view: Don't make women optional in... 103
- Janna Darnelle: Redefining marriage... 91
- 5 reasons Mitt Romney will probably run... 66
- In our opinion: Religion in public life... 53
- Letter: Lateralist logic 40
- John Hoffmire: Save capitalism by... 40
- In our opinion: Here's how the Obama... 40
- Drew Clark: Either view of marriage... 36