Six years ago, Sen. Orrin Hatch stressed seniority in his re-election bid just as he is now. He emphasized how he could serve Utah best as chairman of the Senate Judicial Committee. He was re-elected and appointed chairman.
Then unaccountably, he was replaced by Arlen Specter, an abrasive, ineffective chairman who later deserted the Republican Party and was not re-elected. I wrote to Hatch asking how this could have happened, but I received no response. Now he wants us to send him back so that he can better serve Utah as chairman of the Senate Finance Committee. How long will this last?
- Richard Davis: Latter-day Saints should... 190
- My view: Marriage and social justice go... 98
- Greg Bell: Defenders of religious... 86
- In our opinion: Religious freedom... 54
- In our opinion: It's time to scrutinize... 53
- Letter: Gun control 50
- Letter: Obama fans? 43
- Faith, family and freedom join to... 25