Six years ago, Sen. Orrin Hatch stressed seniority in his re-election bid just as he is now. He emphasized how he could serve Utah best as chairman of the Senate Judicial Committee. He was re-elected and appointed chairman.
Then unaccountably, he was replaced by Arlen Specter, an abrasive, ineffective chairman who later deserted the Republican Party and was not re-elected. I wrote to Hatch asking how this could have happened, but I received no response. Now he wants us to send him back so that he can better serve Utah as chairman of the Senate Finance Committee. How long will this last?
- In our opinion: Obama's State of the... 72
- Jay Evensen: Obama must make religious... 55
- In our opinion: Supreme Court rules... 35
- Letter: Not so lazy 34
- Jay Evensen: Leave free tuition... 32
- In our opinion: Disney outbreak sends a... 23
- George F. Will: America’s welfare... 22
- Robert Bennett: Obama's State of the... 22