Six years ago, Sen. Orrin Hatch stressed seniority in his re-election bid just as he is now. He emphasized how he could serve Utah best as chairman of the Senate Judicial Committee. He was re-elected and appointed chairman.
Then unaccountably, he was replaced by Arlen Specter, an abrasive, ineffective chairman who later deserted the Republican Party and was not re-elected. I wrote to Hatch asking how this could have happened, but I received no response. Now he wants us to send him back so that he can better serve Utah as chairman of the Senate Finance Committee. How long will this last?
- 5 reasons Mitt Romney will probably run for...
- Janna Darnell: Redefining marriage hurts...
- In our opinion: Here's how the Obama...
- John Hoffmire: How to save capitalism
- Robert Bennett: Make climate conversations...
- My view: Don't make women optional in marriage
- Letter: Dance dress code
- Drew Clark: Either view of marriage debate...
- My view: Don't make women optional in... 102
- Janna Darnell: Redefining marriage... 81
- 5 reasons Mitt Romney will probably run... 62
- In our opinion: Religion in public life... 53
- Letter: Lateralist logic 40
- Join the discussion: How libertarian is... 36
- John Hoffmire: How to save capitalism 36
- In our opinion: Here's how the Obama... 35