Universal Pictures, Hopper Stone, Associated Press
Another slice of the "American Pie" franchise isn't exactly earning sweet reviews.
After 13 years and a couple of sequels, Jim, Oz, Stifler and the rest of the gang return for "American Reunion." AP Movie Critic Christy Lemire sliced one and a half stars out of four for the sequel, writing: "'American Reunion' relies on cliches about nostalgia and melodrama about the rekindling of first loves."
Also opening this week is the documentary "Comic-Con: Episode IV — A Fan's Hope." Lemire unleashed two stars out of four for director Morgan Spurlock's look at the pop-culture extravaganza, writing: "If you have to ask what the title is a reference to, this movie is probably not for you; then again, even if you do get it, you won't appreciate the film fully unless you're already a member of the choir to which it's preaching."
Here's a look at how these movies and others fared on the top review websites as of Friday afternoon. Each score is the percentage of positive reviews for the film:
— "American Reunion": Metacritic, 51; Movie Review Intelligence, 52.9; Rotten Tomatoes, 45. Average: 49.6.
— "Comic-Con: Episode IV — A Fan's Hope": Metacritic, 67; Movie Review Intelligence, 70.6; Rotten Tomatoes, 78. Average: 71.8.
— "The Hunter": Metacritic, 64; Movie Review Intelligence, 62.7; Rotten Tomatoes, 76. Average: 67.5.
- 10 things to know before going to Salt Lake...
- 5 parenting lessons from movies
- Ben Barnes, Katherine Heigl in tune in...
- Sutton Foster promises 'an intimate look at...
- Salt Lake festival lets people 'share yoga'
- 'Guardians' stays atop cinemas amid worst...
- 5 takeaways from a punch-less summer box office
- 10 celebrity couples who have made marriage work
- It's about time the government... 12
- US judge blocks enforcement of new... 8
- Jim Bennett: The ALS Ice Bucket... 8
- Parents respond to Nicki Minaj's 'vile'... 7
- Getting ready for Salt Lake Comic Con:... 4
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt wed privately... 3
- Student evades monitors, spreads Ebola... 3
- Linda & Richard Eyre: How media could... 3