U.S. women to play Olympics send-off match at Rio Tinto
Brian Nicholson, Deseret News
SANDY — U.S. Soccer announced today that the U.S. Women's National Team will play its Olympic send-off match at Rio Tinto Stadium on Saturday, June 30 against Canada. The match kicks off at noon and will be televised on Ch. 5.
Both the United States and Canada have qualified for the London Olympics that takes place from July 25 to August 9.
Tickets go on sale to the general public on Friday, April 13 at 10 a.m. Visa card holders will have a pre-sale opportunity to purchase tickets on Friday, April 12 at 8 a.m.
The match will be the third appearance in Utah for the U.S. Women's National Team, and the second at Rio Tinto Stadium. Back in March of 2010, the United States beat Mexico 1-0 on a snowy night in Utah.
It was the first match in the 26-year history of U.S. Women's soccer that was played in snow.
Previously, the U.S. women played an exhibition match against Ireland at Rice-Eccles Stadium in front of nearly 20,000 fans.
- Utah's first family of boxing loses one of...
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football winner...
- BYU basketball guard Anson Winder and...
- Morning links: Utes land a local commitment...
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make...
- Utah Jazz forward Gordon Hayward gets a...
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball, slow down
- Believe it or not: QB Travis Wilson is set to...
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 67
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 38
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 32
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball,... 29
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 29
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 28
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 25