U.S. women to play Olympics send-off match at Rio Tinto
Brian Nicholson, Deseret News
SANDY — U.S. Soccer announced today that the U.S. Women's National Team will play its Olympic send-off match at Rio Tinto Stadium on Saturday, June 30 against Canada. The match kicks off at noon and will be televised on Ch. 5.
Both the United States and Canada have qualified for the London Olympics that takes place from July 25 to August 9.
Tickets go on sale to the general public on Friday, April 13 at 10 a.m. Visa card holders will have a pre-sale opportunity to purchase tickets on Friday, April 12 at 8 a.m.
The match will be the third appearance in Utah for the U.S. Women's National Team, and the second at Rio Tinto Stadium. Back in March of 2010, the United States beat Mexico 1-0 on a snowy night in Utah.
It was the first match in the 26-year history of U.S. Women's soccer that was played in snow.
Previously, the U.S. women played an exhibition match against Ireland at Rice-Eccles Stadium in front of nearly 20,000 fans.
- Utah Jazz: A look at each player's contract...
- Utah Jazz: Future of Trevor Booker, Joe...
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a...
- BYU volleyball: Cougars upset No. 1 Hawai'i...
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches
- Utah's second spring scrimmage is 'a dead heat'
- Salt Lake marathon is first win for Lehi...
- Rookie Rodney Hood wins award, Jazz lose...
- Former BYU star Ena fitting in well at... 76
- Utah football: Dres Anderson shines in... 58
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 32
- Rose still has lofty goals for BYU's... 30
- Dick Harmon: Careers of Aaron... 24
- Mountain West Conference announces... 22
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17
- Video: Utah football coaches revved up... 16