U.S. women to play Olympics send-off match at Rio Tinto
Brian Nicholson, Deseret News
SANDY — U.S. Soccer announced today that the U.S. Women's National Team will play its Olympic send-off match at Rio Tinto Stadium on Saturday, June 30 against Canada. The match kicks off at noon and will be televised on Ch. 5.
Both the United States and Canada have qualified for the London Olympics that takes place from July 25 to August 9.
Tickets go on sale to the general public on Friday, April 13 at 10 a.m. Visa card holders will have a pre-sale opportunity to purchase tickets on Friday, April 12 at 8 a.m.
The match will be the third appearance in Utah for the U.S. Women's National Team, and the second at Rio Tinto Stadium. Back in March of 2010, the United States beat Mexico 1-0 on a snowy night in Utah.
It was the first match in the 26-year history of U.S. Women's soccer that was played in snow.
Previously, the U.S. women played an exhibition match against Ireland at Rice-Eccles Stadium in front of nearly 20,000 fans.
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- NHL coming to Las Vegas; New team to start...
- Massive crowd engulfs Cleveland, champion...
- Chile beats Colombia 2-0 to return to Copa...
- Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and intrigue...
- 24-team Euro 2016 a wacky success
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 77
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 29
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 27
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 14