U.S. women to play Olympics send-off match at Rio Tinto
Brian Nicholson, Deseret News
SANDY — U.S. Soccer announced today that the U.S. Women's National Team will play its Olympic send-off match at Rio Tinto Stadium on Saturday, June 30 against Canada. The match kicks off at noon and will be televised on Ch. 5.
Both the United States and Canada have qualified for the London Olympics that takes place from July 25 to August 9.
Tickets go on sale to the general public on Friday, April 13 at 10 a.m. Visa card holders will have a pre-sale opportunity to purchase tickets on Friday, April 12 at 8 a.m.
The match will be the third appearance in Utah for the U.S. Women's National Team, and the second at Rio Tinto Stadium. Back in March of 2010, the United States beat Mexico 1-0 on a snowy night in Utah.
It was the first match in the 26-year history of U.S. Women's soccer that was played in snow.
Previously, the U.S. women played an exhibition match against Ireland at Rice-Eccles Stadium in front of nearly 20,000 fans.
- Deseret News Classic: Allie Moore repeats as...
- From autonomy to Harvey Langi: Tidbits from...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 commissioner frank about...
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by media...
- Utes notebook: Kyle Whittingham says Harvey...
- Utah's Fiesta Bowl championship team: Where...
- Utah State's Keeton getting Heisman hype
- Salt Lake City's Smyth reclaims 10K title,...
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by... 112
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 88
- The original BCS busters: Looking back... 65
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not... 52
- ACC media days has some interesting... 48
- Utah's better BCS buster, 2004 or 2008? 31
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to... 28
- Off on the right foot: BYU Cougars... 24