U.S. women to play Olympics send-off match at Rio Tinto
Brian Nicholson, Deseret News
SANDY — U.S. Soccer announced today that the U.S. Women's National Team will play its Olympic send-off match at Rio Tinto Stadium on Saturday, June 30 against Canada. The match kicks off at noon and will be televised on Ch. 5.
Both the United States and Canada have qualified for the London Olympics that takes place from July 25 to August 9.
Tickets go on sale to the general public on Friday, April 13 at 10 a.m. Visa card holders will have a pre-sale opportunity to purchase tickets on Friday, April 12 at 8 a.m.
The match will be the third appearance in Utah for the U.S. Women's National Team, and the second at Rio Tinto Stadium. Back in March of 2010, the United States beat Mexico 1-0 on a snowy night in Utah.
It was the first match in the 26-year history of U.S. Women's soccer that was played in snow.
Previously, the U.S. women played an exhibition match against Ireland at Rice-Eccles Stadium in front of nearly 20,000 fans.
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's volleyball...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule...
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner chasing...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Former Ute player among those invited to work...
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting niche
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 51
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 48
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 47
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 42
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 24
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 13
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 11
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8