Utah Jazz: Paul Millsap's tip-in a little too late, Jazz lose another heartbreaker to Phoenix Suns
Channing Frye, however, made the one play that might even be harder for the Jazz to watch again in film session than Nash slipping through Gordon Hayward and Millsap for his game-winning runner with 1.7 seconds remaining.
For almost 24 seconds, the Jazz played smothering defense against Phoenix on the possession following a Millsap bucket that trimmed the Suns' lead to two. Frye ended up with the ball in his hands behind the 3-point line and, despite being off-balanced and having Millsap in his face, the Suns' 6-11 big man unleashed a 25-foot heave just before the shot clock expired.
A miss and Jazz rebound would've given Utah a chance to tie or go ahead with a minute left.
Instead, the ball bounced off the backboard and through the net to give Phoenix a 103-98 lead.
"That was a dagger. What can you do about that?" said Hayward, who notched his first-ever double-double with 20 points and 10 rebounds. "You play great defense the whole shot clock and then he throws in a prayer."
Utah still fought back, though, as Millsap made a steal, bucket, a free throw and a sweet pass to Jefferson, who also had two late baskets to get the Jazz back in it.
But the Jazz didn't get their own prayer from Miles answered after Phoenix's stifling inbound defense with 1.7 seconds remaining forced Utah to the corner for a fading long attempt.
"I didn't really have anywhere to try to drive or have enough time to really make a play," said Miles, who scored 22. "I tried to get my feet set as possible. I got a decent look, but I knew if I could get a shot it would be enough time to get a rebound."
And there was. The Jazz just didn't have enough time to get another shot up as well.
"I knew it wasn't good. I walked off," Jefferson said. "It's tough to lose any game. It just makes you realize what mistakes you made during the game that cost you. Every little thing cost you."
Especially when Old Man Clutch is on the other team.
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- Brady Poppinga: Confronting an unlikely opponent
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl game brawl
- Video: Former USU running back Robert...
- Jazz rookie Dante Exum looks like a kid but...
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball strength coach...
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon State
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 174
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 117
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 52
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 47
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head... 45
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 45