Guards: Earl Watson started in place of the injured Devin Harris, and it wasn't his best game. He played as hard as he usually does and helped out with five assists, two steals and two blocked shots, but something seemed to be missing from Utah's offense until the game's final minutes. Gordon Hayward was outstanding for the Jazz, recording his first career double-double.
Forwards: Paul Millsap caught fire in the fourth quarter and nearly won the game for the Jazz. He filled up the stat sheet, but his missed free throw after Nash's clear-path foul with 34.8 seconds left was costly. C.J. Miles had a big scoring night for Utah with 22 points and an overall solid game. Jared Dudley mostly contributed on defense and with hustle plays. Channing Frye's turnaround bank shot from 3-point range late in the game was ridiculously lucky.
Centers: Al Jefferson was surprisingly quiet. It was unexpected after DeMarcus Cousins torched the Suns for 41 points on Tuesday night. Jefferson only managed 16 points on 7-for-15 shooting. Marcin Gortat was more efficient than Jefferson, and was tough to stop early in the contest.
Bench: The Jazz did not get their usual lift from their bench, which was outscored 46-20. Coach Tyrone Corbin played Miles, Millsap, Jefferson and Hayward at least 35 minutes apiece, so the reserves didn't get too great of a chance to make an impact. Favors was probably the best of the bunch with nine points and eight rebounds. Phoenix, meanwhile, got 19 points from Michael Redd and 11 from rookie Markieff Morris.
Overall: The Suns simply have the Jazz's number, and Nash's presence is a big reason why. Utah started too slowly, fell behind by too many points in the fourth quarter and couldn't come up with a difference-making play in the final minute. It was another costly loss for the Jazz, who are going the wrong way in the Western Conference standings.
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- BYU football: Texas quarterback David Ash out...
- BYU football notebook: Coaches make notable...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker
- Texas will be without starting QB, center for...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 66
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 62
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 31
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28
- BYU's suspended players expected to be... 28