SALT LAKE CITY — Anne Leahy will present stories of early deaf Mormons in "God Made Me Deaf: Accounts from Deaf Latter-day Saints, 1836-1916," a Men and Women of Faith lecture hosted by the Church History Library on Thursday, April 12, at 7 p.m. in the Church Office Building main auditorium. The event is free and open to the public, and American Sign Language translation will be available.
Deaf Latter-day Saints in the early history of the LDS Church maintained strong faith in the gospel despite little or no opportunity to magnify their church membership before the first branch of the church for the deaf was organized in 1917 in Ogden. Little-known first-person stories from early Latter-day Saints' lives will be shared, as well as accounts reported by their associates.
Leahy is a self-employed freelance nonfiction writer and nationally certified sign language interpreter working between Salt Lake City and Washington, D.C. Since 1992, she has worked in corporate, educational, medical, legal, mental health, technical, scientific and social service settings. Leahy has managed and staffed government contracts at the federal, state and municipal levels, and served hundreds of private and non-profit businesses all over the United States. She has also been involved with special projects for the church dealing with the hearing impaired.
Lectures in this series are held the second Thursday of every month at 7 p.m. in the Church Office Building main auditorium on 50 E. North Temple Street.
For more information, visit history.lds.org/program/men-and-women-of-faith or call 801-240-2745.
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Elder David E. Sorensen, former executive...
- President Uchtfdorf visits Provo City Center...
- Watch: Mormon missionaries save baby ducks
- What does heaven look like? Here are 10...
- 'True compassion': Members of the LDS...
- LDS Church releases video about overcoming...
- Defending the Faith: Paul and his list of...
- Ask Angela: I'm not getting married in... 90
- LDS Church releases video about... 43
- Defending the Faith: Paul and his list... 22
- LDS stake presidency participates in... 19
- BYU coach, players answer questions at... 9
- Want to keep your faith in college?... 7
- Is James Foley a martyr? A brutal death... 6
- 'True compassion': Members of the LDS... 6