SALT LAKE CITY — Anne Leahy will present stories of early deaf Mormons in "God Made Me Deaf: Accounts from Deaf Latter-day Saints, 1836-1916," a Men and Women of Faith lecture hosted by the Church History Library on Thursday, April 12, at 7 p.m. in the Church Office Building main auditorium. The event is free and open to the public, and American Sign Language translation will be available.
Deaf Latter-day Saints in the early history of the LDS Church maintained strong faith in the gospel despite little or no opportunity to magnify their church membership before the first branch of the church for the deaf was organized in 1917 in Ogden. Little-known first-person stories from early Latter-day Saints' lives will be shared, as well as accounts reported by their associates.
Leahy is a self-employed freelance nonfiction writer and nationally certified sign language interpreter working between Salt Lake City and Washington, D.C. Since 1992, she has worked in corporate, educational, medical, legal, mental health, technical, scientific and social service settings. Leahy has managed and staffed government contracts at the federal, state and municipal levels, and served hundreds of private and non-profit businesses all over the United States. She has also been involved with special projects for the church dealing with the hearing impaired.
Lectures in this series are held the second Thursday of every month at 7 p.m. in the Church Office Building main auditorium on 50 E. North Temple Street.
For more information, visit history.lds.org/program/men-and-women-of-faith or call 801-240-2745.
- Mormon thrill ride creator still generating...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Modest swimwear makes a splash in women's retail
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face uncertain future
- LDS World: Western author Wallace Stegner...
- BYU-Idaho students form brotherhood of...
- Religious groups react to Boy Scouts’...
- Wright Words: Younger sister is living...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 298
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 141
- Religious groups react to Boy... 77
- Do contraceptive rules make religious... 43
- Are lawsuits ahead for church-based Boy... 31
- Another Book of Mormon musical opens in... 27
- America welcomes Christians, Jews;... 21
- Modest swimwear makes a splash in... 10