There are three main options for buying tickets to a sporting event: Directly from the team, commonly through Ticketmaster.com; from websites like ScoreBig.com that obtain swaths of tickets from brokers, corporations and promoters or other sources; and, from fans reselling tickets on StubHub.com or similar sites.
Each source has its advantages and drawbacks.
For example, buying from the team is the most direct way to get exactly what you want, but you're paying retail. Why do that if you can avoid it?
Buying from individuals can be a good way to bypass a game sellout or get a good price on extra tickets the seller no longer needs. That could mean a lower price, but prepare to pay a lot more than retail for a hot ticket.
That can help give you an idea of the kinds of tickets that might be available for a given game and how much everyone from resellers to brokers are asking.
The middleman sites mining tickets from brokers offer perhaps the most tantalizing prospect for big discounts.
Brokers often buy season tickets and make a killing from selling seats to highly anticipated games, say a matchup between the Lakers and Celtics. But less coveted games typically get sold at a discount.
"So many brokers are sitting on so much inventory that they're willing to take a loss," said Justin Cener, founder and CEO of Crowdseats.com.
- BYU football: Cougars to play Washington in...
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes coming...
- Former Cougar Dennis Pitta scores first...
- Utah State football: Aggies will take on No....
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher out BCS...
- Report: German president boycotting Sochi...
- BYU basketball report card: Cougars give...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz face quick rematch with Portland
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 93
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much... 62
- Commentary: Long-term success in... 52
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 43
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 31
- BYU vs. No. 21 UMass live blog:... 27
- BYU basketball: Breaking down UMass,... 27