BUFFALO, N.Y. — Buffalo Sabres goalie Ryan Miller had a candid response when informed of Capitals center Brooks Laich's guarantee that Washington was going to make the playoffs.
Miller said he doesn't think Laich is Mark Messier, referring to the former New York Rangers captain hours after Laich made his comments on Washington's The Fan radio Wednesday.
Buckle up, because the thrilling, topsy-turvy race between Washington and Buffalo for the Eastern Conference's eighth and final playoff spot is showing no signs of letting up in the final days of the season.
The Sabres did their part to stay in the hunt by mounting a frantic comeback in a 6-5 overtime win over Toronto on Tuesday. That pulled Buffalo even with Washington. Both teams have two games left, with the Capitals holding the tiebreaker.
While trailing the New Jersey Devils, 3-2, in the 1994 Eastern Conference Finals, Messier famously guaranteed a win. He scored a hat trick in Game 6, and New York won the series in seven.
- Source: Kyle Whittingham not being forced out...
- Amy Donaldson: South Jordan mom eyes Boston...
- Brad Rock: Silence is the wrong approach for...
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act together
- Bingham nearly topples undefeated Florida...
- Meet the 21 Utah ties on the NFL playoff rosters
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look at...
- Dick Harmon: BYU starters lose 3-point range...
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 75
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 63
- Source: Kyle Whittingham not being... 45
- Hill, Whittingham meet after football... 41
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act... 38
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look... 21
- Dick Harmon: BYU starters lose 3-point... 15
- Pangos, Wiltjer lead Gonzaga to victory... 13