George Zimmerman, the man who shot Trayvon Martin in alleged self-defense, should immediately submit to a polygraph exam. In fact a polygraph exam should be standard procedure in any and all police investigations when a citizen uses deadly force. I am not anti guns. I understand citizens have a right to self-defense.
The concern I have is that there are vigilante types in our society. The outrage over Trayvon's death is that the police never conducted a thorough investigation.
If police officers ever discharge their weapon they are subject to rigorous scrutiny by their own department, the county attorney and the Utah Attorney General's office. Private citizens who use deadly force and claim self-defense should be held to the same standard as law enforcement.
If you choose to carry a weapon then you better understand when and how you can legally use it. That is not an unreasonable expectation.
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Long-term...
- In our opinion: Liberal arts vs STEM...
- My view: History reveals some correct beliefs...
- Drew Clark: After 50 years, Moore's Law...
- Letter: Next president?
- In our opinion: Fabricated Rolling Stone...
- Letter: Costly benefits
- Ralph Hancock: Religious freedom and... 75
- Letter: Wrong wage approach 47
- Letter: No more hungry kids 41
- Kathleen Parker: Hillary Clinton's... 40
- Greg Bell: The problem of being a... 40
- Utah's 'grand bargain' stands in sharp... 34
- Letter: Unemployment compensation 33
- Letter: Intimate caucus system 27