George Zimmerman, the man who shot Trayvon Martin in alleged self-defense, should immediately submit to a polygraph exam. In fact a polygraph exam should be standard procedure in any and all police investigations when a citizen uses deadly force. I am not anti guns. I understand citizens have a right to self-defense.
The concern I have is that there are vigilante types in our society. The outrage over Trayvon's death is that the police never conducted a thorough investigation.
If police officers ever discharge their weapon they are subject to rigorous scrutiny by their own department, the county attorney and the Utah Attorney General's office. Private citizens who use deadly force and claim self-defense should be held to the same standard as law enforcement.
If you choose to carry a weapon then you better understand when and how you can legally use it. That is not an unreasonable expectation.
- 33 Mark Twain quotes that prove he was an...
- John Florez: Audit reveals politicians'...
- Charles Krauthammer: The nation expects...
- Richard Davis: Can a Mormon not be a liberal?
- In our opinion: 'Lost Boy of Sudan' shows how...
- Dan Liljenquist: Rights vs. privileges...
- Letter: More informed decisions
- A. Scott Anderson: Give students skills that...
- Richard Davis: Can a Mormon not be a... 77
- Jay Evensen: We're becoming a nation... 43
- Dan Liljenquist: Rights vs. privileges... 37
- My view: The best legislation meets all... 30
- Letter: Legal weapons on campus 30
- Letter: Give her time 26
- In our opinion: Overcome 'election... 24
- In our opinion: Charitable awareness... 23