George Zimmerman, the man who shot Trayvon Martin in alleged self-defense, should immediately submit to a polygraph exam. In fact a polygraph exam should be standard procedure in any and all police investigations when a citizen uses deadly force. I am not anti guns. I understand citizens have a right to self-defense.
The concern I have is that there are vigilante types in our society. The outrage over Trayvon's death is that the police never conducted a thorough investigation.
If police officers ever discharge their weapon they are subject to rigorous scrutiny by their own department, the county attorney and the Utah Attorney General's office. Private citizens who use deadly force and claim self-defense should be held to the same standard as law enforcement.
If you choose to carry a weapon then you better understand when and how you can legally use it. That is not an unreasonable expectation.
- In our opinion: The 3 levels of Christmas
- W. Bradford Wilcox: Why the working-class...
- John Florez: Utah's prison relocation is like...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Cogitating on...
- About Utah: They're best in the world
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: New Christmas...
- Drew Clark: The right to be forgiven, not...
- My view: We deserve better than current...
- Letter: Patriots or sheep? 64
- Greg Bell: Socialism vs. the safety net 48
- Susan Roylance: Definition of the... 37
- My view: Chaffetz named... 34
- Jay Evensen: Cuba not likely to change... 34
- My view: Torture, morality and the laws... 30
- Jay Evensen: Should Utah raise its gas... 28
- Letter: Police not the problem 24