George Zimmerman, the man who shot Trayvon Martin in alleged self-defense, should immediately submit to a polygraph exam. In fact a polygraph exam should be standard procedure in any and all police investigations when a citizen uses deadly force. I am not anti guns. I understand citizens have a right to self-defense.
The concern I have is that there are vigilante types in our society. The outrage over Trayvon's death is that the police never conducted a thorough investigation.
If police officers ever discharge their weapon they are subject to rigorous scrutiny by their own department, the county attorney and the Utah Attorney General's office. Private citizens who use deadly force and claim self-defense should be held to the same standard as law enforcement.
If you choose to carry a weapon then you better understand when and how you can legally use it. That is not an unreasonable expectation.
- Ralph Hancock: The anti-establishment delusion
- In our opinion: National security and the...
- Jay Evensen: Legislature's pornography...
- Robert J. Samuelson: The false charms of...
- Barack Obama: Religious freedom keeps us strong
- In our opinion: Internet sales tax should...
- My view: They run toward danger
- Jay Evensen: On Second Thought: The 1 percent...
- In our opinion: National security and... 70
- Is it time for our first woman president? 55
- Robert J. Samuelson: The false charms... 50
- Ralph Hancock: The anti-establishment... 19
- Letter: Hillary and FOIA 18
- Letter: No labels in 2016? 17
- In our opinion: The lesson of... 17
- Barack Obama: Religious freedom keeps... 16