George Zimmerman, the man who shot Trayvon Martin in alleged self-defense, should immediately submit to a polygraph exam. In fact a polygraph exam should be standard procedure in any and all police investigations when a citizen uses deadly force. I am not anti guns. I understand citizens have a right to self-defense.
The concern I have is that there are vigilante types in our society. The outrage over Trayvon's death is that the police never conducted a thorough investigation.
If police officers ever discharge their weapon they are subject to rigorous scrutiny by their own department, the county attorney and the Utah Attorney General's office. Private citizens who use deadly force and claim self-defense should be held to the same standard as law enforcement.
If you choose to carry a weapon then you better understand when and how you can legally use it. That is not an unreasonable expectation.
- What The New York Times gets wrong about...
- In our opinion: Fix, don't repeal, Affordable...
- What one word best describes Barack Obama?
- Why LDS Church's anti-discrimination stance...
- Michael Gerson: America has enough problems...
- W. Bradford Wilcox: Yes, women and children...
- Michael and Jenet Erickson: Utah businesses...
- Letter: Antelope Island prison
- What The New York Times gets wrong... 76
- In our opinion: Fix, don't repeal,... 70
- Michael and Jenet Erickson: Utah... 50
- In our opinion: It's time to end the... 42
- Mike Lee: Tax reform shouldn't penalize... 38
- In our opinion: Fairness for all in... 37
- Jay Evensen: Will Obama visit Utah? Do... 37
- In our opinion: Disney outbreak sends a... 33