While attending the American Society of Newspaper Editor's/AP annual meetings Tuesday morning, Deseret News Editor, Paul Edwards (@EditorEdwards) heard President Barack Obama essentially concede the Republican nomination to Mitt Romney while laying out his own plan to win the upcoming election. And he didn't hold back.
Edwards tweeted Obama saying that "The Ryan budget makes the Contract with America look like the New Deal," referring to a new budget proposal led by Rep. Paul Ryan which was passed by the House of Representatives last week.
"This election will be about the size and role of government," the president added.
A raw feed of Edwards' tweets offers a fascinating fly-on-the-wall look at what will soon become commonplace as President Obama takes to the campaign trail.
9:38 AM: Waiting to hear #Obama at the American Society of Newspaper Editors/AP annual meetings.
10:36 AM: #Obama at AP luncheon: Glad to speak at a microphone that he can see.
10:38 AM: #Obama: defining issue of our time is the preservation of the middle class.
10:44 AM: #Obama: Lays out a case for bi-partisan government investment in facilitating market competition and income and health security.
10:49 AM: #Obama takes aim at income inequality and a trickle down caricature of capitalism.
10:51 AM: #Obama: Ryan budget makes the Contract with America look like the New Deal.
10:59 AM: #Obama — 95% of discretionary spending would be eliminated by the Romney-embraced Ryan Budget.
11:06 AM: #Obama says he was for the Bowles Simpson proposal. Really? His budgets don't reflect its priorities on entitlement or tax reform.
11:12 AM: #Obama: This election will be "about the size and role of government." Indeed.
11:17 AM: #Obama "Ronald Reagan could not get through a Republican primary today."
11:21 AM: #Obama "the positions I am taking now on the budget . . . would have been centrist positions 15 years ago."
11:26 AM: Obama humorless and earnest in the mischaracterizations of his opponents.
11:27 AM: Should fair and balanced journalists give a standing ovation to a campaign speech?
11:33 AM: #Obama the constitutional law prof shows some misunderstanding of constitutional history (implies Lochner ended substantive due process?).
Edwards will attend Mitt Romney's speech at the same conference Wednesday morning. You can follow his live tweets of the speech on Twitter at @EditorEdwards.
- Tornado relief spurs LDS Church, Layton's...
- Fire chief says search almost complete in...
- Photo gallery: Tornado rips Oklahoma suburb
- Teachers saved many lives during Oklahoma...
- Abercrombie & Fitch CEO posts statement on...
- One block: How neighbors saw twister's deadly...
- Authorities: Man questioned in Boston bombing...
- IRS role in Obamacare adds deeper layer to...
- Mitt Romney talks IRS, AP records,... 65
- Journalists criticize Obama... 38
- Associated Press CEO calls records... 23
- White House insists Obama was not... 22
- Former IRS chief to Congress: Can't say... 20
- More Obama aides knew IRS targeted... 19
- IRS official Lerner invokes Fifth... 19
- Supreme Court to weigh in on... 17