NEW YORK — Relax, all you fans of David Letterman and Craig Ferguson. They'll be staying put in late night awhile longer.
CBS announced Tuesday that both Dave and Craig have re-upped to keep hosting their respective hours — "Late Show" and "The Late Late Show" — through 2014.
During the run of this agreement, Letterman will clinch his title as the longest-running, late-night talk-show host in TV history (although on two networks), the network noted. He surpasses Johnny Carson's record of a few months less than 30 years at NBC's "Tonight Show." Letterman, who turns 65 next week, began on NBC in 1982 with "Late Night," before switching to CBS in 1993 after Jay Leno edged him out for the "Tonight Show" crown upon Carson's retirement.
No salary figures were disclosed. But as part of the new deal, "The Late Late Show" will be upgraded from its famously matchbox-size studio to a larger stage at Los Angeles' CBS Television City, the network said.
"David Letterman is a late-night legend with an iconic show and Craig Ferguson continues to evolve the genre in exciting and innovative ways," said CBS Entertainment President Nina Tassler in making the announcement.
The Scottish-born Ferguson, 49, had been a musician, actor, writer, director and comedian when he took over "The Late Late Show" in 2005. He has been guaranteed the earlier slot when Letterman decides to retire.
Originating from Manhattan's Ed Sullivan Theatre, "Late Show" has won nine Emmy Awards. In addition to an Emmy nomination, "The Late Late Show" won a Peabody Award in 2009.
The "Late Show With David Letterman" airs weeknights at 11:35 p.m. EDT. "The Late Late Show With Craig Ferguson" follows at 12:37 a.m. EDT. Both series are produced by Letterman's production company, Worldwide Pants.
- Condoleezza Rice and Jenny Oaks Baker release...
- Lagoon's Cannibal ride makes late but...
- UTubers: Lexi Walker sings 'America the...
- Beat the heat: 33 free splash pads in Utah
- Brooke Romney: Why we are taking the fun out...
- An 'all-American tradition': Fourth of July...
- 'It's San Diego vs. everyone else' in comic...
- Utah farmer turns alfalfa field into the...
- When Satan steals your motherhood 88
- Richard Davis: Time to fix Obamacare... 29
- Behind the rapid shift in public... 26
- In our opinion: Declaration of... 17
- After court ruling, Obama says more to... 11
- Does Shakespeare still have a place in... 10
- Condoleezza Rice and Jenny Oaks Baker... 8
- Jay Evensen: Don't let an... 4