CEDAR CITY — Southern Utah University's Mikkel Griffin has been named the Summit League Player of the Week after powering the Thunderbird softball team to a 4-1 record last week with victories over UNLV and UMKC. The award is Griffin's third conference award of the season.
Griffin had three multi-hit games during the week, including a three home run effort against UMKC on Saturday, helping the T-Birds to a 9-6 victory. The junior finished the week batting .471 (8-for-17) with a 1.059 slugging percentage, seven RBIs, five runs and a double.
Griffin and the rest of the Thunderbirds will be back in action Tuesday, traveling to Brigham Young University for a doubleheader with the Cougars beginning at 3:30 p.m. Fans can watch the second game of the two-game set live on BYUtv at 6 p.m.
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70
- BYU looking forward to big showdown at No. 3...
- 16 Mormon pop culture moments from 2014-15
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Cougars take center stage...
- High school basketball tournaments: Pairings,...
- 5A boys state tournament roundup: Layton...
- Layton steps up big late to secure a 48-46...
- Utes come up short in Pac-12 battle with Arizona
- Peavler: BYU and Utah would both be... 92
- Holmoe talks about bowl brawl... 83
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest... 63
- Utes bounce back, blast Sun Devils 50
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70 36
- Morning links: Utah coaching job... 30
- Morning links: Examining BYU's at-large... 29
- BYU looking forward to big showdown at... 25