Weber State football: Jody Sears named Wildcat defensive coordinator
New Weber State football head coach John L. Smith has completed his coaching staff with the hiring of a new defensive coordinator. Smith has announced the hiring of Jody Sears to serve as the coordinator for the Wildcat defense. Sears will also coach the safeties at Weber State.
"We are fortunate to get Jody and excited to have a coach of his experience join our staff," Smith said. "I've known Jody for a long time, back to his playing days, and I know he is very knowledgeable. He also has great coaching experience in the Big Sky that will be helpful to us."
Sears comes to Weber State from Washington State where he spent the last three seasons as the co-defensive coordinator with the Cougars under head coach Paul Wulff, a former college teammate at Washington State. He also coached the cornerbacks at his alma mater.
Sears has extensive coaching experience in the Big Sky Conference as he spent five seasons (2003-07) as the defensive coordinator at Eastern Washington, also under Wulff. During his time with the Eagles he coached safeties, linebackers and defensive backs. In his five seasons at Eastern Washington he coached seven players to Big Sky All-Conference honors.
Prior to his time at Eastern Washington Sears spent three seasons (2000-02) as an assistant coach at Army where he coached cornerbacks and the defensive line.
In 1998 he served as the defensive coordinator at St. Ambrose University, an NAIA school in Davenport, Iowa. He began his collegiate coaching career at Iowa State in 1994 where he spent three seasons as a graduate assistant with the Cyclones, helping coach the defensive backs and wide receivers.
Sears played football at Washington State where he was a two-year letterwinner with the Cougars after walking on as a wide receiver. He played under head coaches Jim Walden, Dennis Erickson, and former Weber State head coach Mike Price. He graduated from Washington State in 1991 and received his master's degree from Iowa State in 1996.
He and his wife, Molly, are the parents of five children: Weston, Hannah Jo, J.T., Kylee Ann and Charlie Ray.
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley paying a...
- Morning links: Bronson Kaufusi could be on...
- Dick Harmon: Sitake is taking advantage of...
- Free agent roundup: Where local prospects are...
- For some Jazz players, their future is up in...
- Utah State football: Offensive lineman Tyshon...
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL draftee
- 41-year-old mom looking to join U.S. team,...
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley... 116
- Big 12 would be better off expanding,... 77
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL... 76
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion probable... 36
- Former BYU quarterback Jake Heaps signs... 35
- Going the distance: BYU, Big 12 aren't... 29
- Report: Utah's Poeltl, Weber State's... 27
- Dick Harmon: SUU, Kaufusi big winners... 27