NEW YORK — Fasten your seat belts, coach Rex Ryan, Tim Tebow and the New York Jets might be ready for a sequel on HBO's "Hard Knocks."
Jets owner Woody Johnson says he's heard talk that HBO is interested in signing up the team for its training-camp documentary show. He's not ruling it out.
Johnson said Monday the team has not received a "formal invitation," but "when we do, we will take a look at it."
HBO said there will be a "Hard Knocks" before the 2012 season begins following a hiatus last year because of the lockout. HBO spokesman Greg Domino said "we do not discuss the process."
Speculation began after the Jets acquired Tebow in a trade with the Broncos.
Asked if there have been informal discussions with HBO, Johnson said, "yeah" but "it's a formal invitation that we can respond to, not an informal (one)."
Johnson, who made his comments at the NFL's new pop-up store featuring new team apparel, said the Jets' 2010 appearance on the show brought "tremendous value" and that the feedback was only positive. The Jets went on to reach the AFC championship game.
If invited, Johnson said there would be a discussion about a return appearance.
"It's something we would take a look at with (GM) Mike (Tannenbaum), and the coach, and (director of media relations) Bruce (Speight), and others that we think would add value to that discussion, to see whether it is something we want to do," Johnson said.
A possible drawback could be the way last season ended, when locker-room issues became public and there was much finger-pointing at quarterback Mark Sanchez. The Jets missed the playoffs after reaching the AFC title game the previous two seasons.
"I think all those concerns, the positives and negatives, we'd have to look at, sit around the table and say yay or nay," Johnson said. "It's not a perfect science. But we'd use our best judgment at that point."
Also chiming in was Jets tight end Dustin Keller, one of several current and former players who attended the store opening.
"We would be good for Hard Knocks, especially with Rex's personality, the Tebow trade. I definitely see how we would be appealing," Keller said. "With everything that's going on right now, there couldn't be any more exposure."
- Ranking the 26 Utah ties selected in the NFL...
- Morning links: Nebraska coach praises BYU...
- Free agent roundup: Where locals signed after...
- Doug Robinson: The era (and myth) of the...
- Dick Harmon: LaVell Edwards chimes in on NFL...
- Doug Robinson: A girl for all seasons: One...
- Boxing champ Gene Fullmer: An ordinary family...
- Utah State in the Fiesta Bowl? ESPN's...
- BYU announces 2015 football schedule,... 91
- Morning links: Nebraska coach praises... 64
- Free agent roundup: Where locals signed... 49
- Dick Harmon: BYU's 2015 September... 45
- Linehan's leg helps propel BYU past Cal... 42
- BYU hires Lone Peak's Quincy Lewis as... 40
- Doug Robinson: The era (and myth) of... 35
- BYU's 2015 bowl destination could be... 32