Steven Senne, File, Associated Press
Rick Santorum said last week that Mitt Romney is the worst Republican to be running for president. It followed naturally that he then said he would consider being Romney's running mate.
Partisan political fights and boxing matches: Those are the only two endeavors where people can pummel each other mercilessly, then hug when it's over.
Newt Gingrich announced his new victory strategy last week. It involves firing much of his staff and spending a lot less money.
Asked why he doesn't drop out, Gingrich angrily asked why reporters don't ask sports teams if they will drop out before the season is over. Well, if a team fired many of its coaches and players, was running out of money and hadn't won a game in months, they might.
Think of Newt as the XFL of the GOP race.
President Obama got caught last week by the politician's worst enemy, the open mic. That's the device that occasionally lets the public hear what a world leader really thinks.
In this case, Obama was overheard telling Russia President Dmitry Medvedev that he really wasn't born in the United States, or something like that.
Actually, the president told the Russian leader he would be better able to negotiate a missile defense deal after November's election. What a shock for voters to hear that politicians say one thing just to get votes, all the while intending to do something different.
Mitt Romney attacked the president for his remarks — a position experts are fairly sure he will keep even after winning the nomination.
Medvedev, meanwhile, responded by officially endorsing Obama's re-election bid.
Americans lined up last week to pay money for a 1 in 176 million chance at winning a lottery. If P.T. Barnum were alive, he would have to recalculate that "sucker born every minute" thing.
- Letter: What this issue is really about
- In our opinion: Thankfully speaking —...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Hospitality...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Sea turtles and...
- Letter: King Obama
- In our opinion: Fear, intentions can result...
- Drew Clark: Interfaith conference at Vatican...
- Letter: Speak kind words
- In our opinion: U.S. needs immigration... 73
- Dan Liljenquist: Obamacare was a rude... 61
- Letter: Growing party divide 53
- Letter: Acting on immigration 51
- Michael Gerson: Obama’s executive... 46
- Letter: King Obama 32
- Letter: What this issue is really about 29
- My view: Global warming needs free market 27