DENVER — An hour after losing in last season's regional finals, Brittney Griner sent Baylor coach Kim Mulkey a text.
The message was simple: the 6-foot-8 junior phenom took responsibility for the loss and said it wouldn't happen again.
So far Griner has fulfilled her promise, helping Baylor to an undefeated season and has the team two victories away from the first 40-win season in NCAA history.
"She was the only kid that texted me within an hour of the loss," Mulkey said. "She said she was sorry that she didn't deliver. When you have a kid as talented as she is, you knew she was going to come back an even better player. She's stronger, she's forceful. She's dominant."
Standing in the way of a second national championship for Baylor (38-0) are Stanford and the Ogwumike sisters. The Cardinal (35-1) are making their fifth straight trip to the Final Four and are hoping to win their first title in 20 years.
While Stanford and Baylor haven't played each other in four seasons, the other semifinal game features two teams who know each other inside and out. Notre Dame and Connecticut are facing each other for the eighth time in the past 14 months.
Notre Dame (34-3) vs. Connecticut (33-4), 4:30 p.m., TV: ESPN Radio: none
Baylor (38-0) vs. Stanford (35-1), 6:30 p.m.
TV: ESPN Radio: none
- So far, Dante Exum appears to be bigger and...
- Doug Robinson: When money speaks louder than...
- Dick Harmon: A more confident Robert Anae...
- Ranking the best college running backs...
- Jazz notes: Trey Lyles still not with team...
- You don't know Jack (Cooley)? Learn about...
- Class of 2015: Utah high school athletes with...
- Ranking the best fits for the Utah Jazz in...
- Morning links: Reviewing BYU's case to... 104
- U. cornerback Hatfield arrested for... 103
- Morning links: Damian Lillard, Paul... 32
- Mendenhall's coaching tenure at BYU: A... 28
- Brad Rock: Hatfield, Natson incidents... 28
- Utah football player Dominique Hatfield... 27
- BYU Cougars finish year with five... 24
- Doug Robinson: When money speaks louder... 24