College roundup: Utes produce hits, just not enough runs, against Bruins
1. #68 Nikola Bubnic (USD) def. #45 Georgy Batrakov (BYU) 6-4, 3-6, 6-3
2. #81 Patrick Pohlmann (USD) def. Patrick Kawka (BYU) 6-4, 6-3
3. Spencer Smith (BYU) def. Clarke Spinosa (USD) 6-2, 6-2
4. #112 Thibaut Visy (USD) def. Keaton Cullimore (BYU) 6-0, 6-2
5. Victor Pugliese (USD) def. Michael Eraso (BYU) 6-2, 6-4
6. Francis Sargeant (BYU) def. Ciaran Fitzgerald (USD) 6-2, 7-6(4)
1. Georgy Batrakov/Patrick Kawka (BYU) def. Patrick Pohlmann/Clarke Spinosa (USD) 8-5
2. Nikola Bubnic/Thibaut Visy (USD) def. Spencer Smith/Francis Sargeant (BYU) 8-6
3. Keaton Cullimore/Michael Eraso (BYU) def. Ciaran Fitzgerald/Victor Pugliese (USD) 8-6
WSU TENNIS: At Ogden, the Wildcats took four of six singles matches, five of which went three sets, to finish off a 5-2 win over Montana State.
"This win is a testament to, and a product of, how hard our guys have worked this season," said WSU head coach Jared Burnham. "We had a lot of long, hard-fought matches today, and we were able to push through and come out on top today. I'm really proud of our attitude and our fight today."
Simon Unger and Oliver Good got things going for the Wildcats in doubles play, cruising to an 8-2 win over Alberto Fuentes and Lander Jewett. The No. 2 and 3 teams followed with wins for the Wildcats, taking a pair of tight matches. Peter Ramstromer Pello and Caio Poitena pulled out an 8-6 win over Niklas Brandes and Markus Schleuter at No. 2, while Dave Hintze and Ryan Garner got past Javier Martin-Morillas and Prithiv Sivasubramaniam 8-7 at No. 3.
In singles, matches continued to be tight, with all but one going the distance. Ramstromer Pello was the lone Wildcat to finish in straight-sets, defeating Fuentes 6-2, 7-6 to give WSU a 2-0 lead.
Weber State's top player, Simon Unger, split a pair of sets with Brandes (6-4, 4-6), before the senior blitzed his Bobcat opponent 6-1 in the deciding set to give the Wildcats a 3-0 edge.
A 6-4, 3-6, 6-3 win by Martin-Morillas over Garner in the No. 6 match put Montana State on the board, and gave the Bobcats hope with the last three singles matches in the balance of a third set.
Hintze ended the hopes of the visiting team, clinching the match with a 6-4, 4-6, 6-4 win at No. 4 over Jewett, minutes before MSU's Schleuter earned a 6-4, 3-6, 6-4 win over Good at No. 2.
Poitena put the final point up for WSU after gutting out a 6-7, 7-5, 7-5 come-from-behind win over Sivasubramaniam at No. 5.
Weber State moved to .500 on the season at 8-8 overall, and improved to an impressive 4-1 record in Big Sky play. The Wildcats will host the University of Montana in another important conference match Sunday at 11 a.m.
Weber State 5, Montana State 2
1. UNGER, Simon (WSU) def. BRANDES, Niklas (MSU) 6-4, 4-6, 6-1
2. SCHLEUTER, Markus (MSU) def. GOOD, Oliver (WSU) 6-4, 3-6, 6-4
3. RAMSTROMER PELLO, P. (WSU) def. FUENTES, Alberto (MSU) 6-2, 7-6
4. HINTZE, Dave (WSU) def. JEWETT, Lander (MSU) 6-4, 4-6, 6-4
5. POITENA, Caio (WSU) def. SIVASUBRAMANIAM, P. (MSU) 6-7, 7-5, 7-5
6. MARTIN-MORILLAS, J. (MSU) def. GARNER, Ryan (WSU) 6-4, 3-6, 6-3
- BYU football: Cougars to play Washington in...
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes coming...
- Former Cougar Dennis Pitta scores first...
- Utah State football: Aggies will take on No....
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher out BCS...
- Report: German president boycotting Sochi...
- BYU basketball report card: Cougars give...
- Toddler basketball star, 'Trick-Shot-Titus,'...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 91
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much... 62
- Commentary: Long-term success in... 52
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 43
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 42
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 31
- BYU vs. No. 21 UMass live blog:... 27
- BYU basketball: Breaking down UMass,... 27