College roundup: Utes produce hits, just not enough runs, against Bruins
The Thunderbirds also dominated in the distance races as sister and brother Danielle West-Jewkes and Austin West led the team in their respective mile races. West-Jewkes led the field in the women's race, finishing in 5:06.65, while West's second-place time of 4:20.29 ranks fourth in the school records.
The T-Birds swept the 800-meter runs, with Dallas Eborn leading the men with 1:56.59 and Kaylee Coates leading the women with 2:17.07. Diana Medina-Mitchell finished first in the women's 3,200-meter run, recording a time of 11:03.38, while Clinton Rhoton finished in a close second on the men's side with 9:44.69.
Preston Myers led the sprinters with a first-place time of 22.66 in the 200-meter dash, while the men's 4x100-meter relay team also earned a first-place finish over NAU.
The women were led by Jasmine Paicely-Mullins, who recorded a 13.74 time and first-place finish in the 100-meter hurdles. The women's 4x100-meter relay team recorded a top 10 SUU time of 46.48 with a second-place finish, while NAU's team set a new record of 45.55 for Eccles Coliseum.
Kyle Kopp and Stephen Wilson broke in to the school's jumps records, as Kopp recorded 23-111/2 in the long jump and Wilson recorded a 45-113/4 in the triple jump. Both times rank sixth in SUU history. Cheyenne Thatcher led the women in a tie for first-place, clearing a height of 5-3 in the high jump.
Southern Utah's next home meet will take place on Apr. 26, against in-state rival Utah Valley University. Meanwhile, the team will next travel to California to compete in the Stanford Invitational in Palo Alto and the San Francisco State Distance Carnival in San Francisco.
UTAH GOLF: At Stanford, Calif., the Utes remained in 17th after finishing the second round of the U.S. Intercollegiate. The Utes compiled a two-round total of 617 (304-313). Sophomore Daniel Engle is tied for 68th with a mark of 153 (75-78).
Freshman Myles Sullivan posted a score of 80 for an overall mark of 154 (74-80) to tie for 74th. Next to finish on the Ute roster was sophomore Ben Bankhead, who is tied for 81st with a mark of 157 (83-74). Freshman Brandon Kida placed 88th with a score of 160 (79-81). Gentry Hicks tallied two-round mark of 164 (76-88) to place 90th.
BYU TENNIS: At San Diego, the No. 44 Cougars dropped a 4-3 decision to reigning 2011 WCC champion No. 19 San Diego in their last road match of the season.
The Cougars (10-7, 1-2 WCC) started the match strong, grabbing the doubles point over the Toreros (12-5, 3-0 WCC). BYU senior Georgy Batrakov and sophomore Patrick Kawkatopped Patrick Pohlmann and Clarke Spinosa, 8-5, before San Diego evened the score by edging out junior Spencer Smith and freshman Francis Sargeant, 8-6.
With the doubles point up for grabs, BYU freshman Keaton Cullimore and senior Michael Eraso battled back and forth with Ciaran Fitzgerald and Victor Pugliese before coming away with an 8-6 win.
The Toreros won the first two singles matches to take a 2-1 lead. No. 112 Thibaut Visy defeated BYU's Cullimore 6-0, 6-2 before Eraso fell 6-2, 6-4.
BYU and San Diego exchanged the next two wins. Smith put up a straight set victory over his opponent (6-2, 6-2) to tie the match score, 2-2, before the Toreros recorded their own win. Playing at the No. 2 singles position, No. 81 Pohlmann beat Kawka 6-4, 6-3.
In a three-set showdown, No. 68 Nikola Bubnic and No. 45 Batrakov split sets before Bubnic came away with the win, 6-4, 3-6, 6-3, to earn the fourth point for San Diego and the match win.
Next week, BYU hosts conference opponents Gonzaga and Portland on Friday and Saturday, respectively.
No. 19 San Diego 4, No. 44 BYU 3
1. #68 Nikola Bubnic (USD) def. #45 Georgy Batrakov (BYU) 6-4, 3-6, 6-3
2. #81 Patrick Pohlmann (USD) def. Patrick Kawka (BYU) 6-4, 6-3
3. Spencer Smith (BYU) def. Clarke Spinosa (USD) 6-2, 6-2
4. #112 Thibaut Visy (USD) def. Keaton Cullimore (BYU) 6-0, 6-2
- Utah football: The Michigan Wolverines in 6...
- Cougars football team undergoing reality...
- NFL cuts tracker (updated): Former BYU WR...
- Amy Donaldson: Football has helped Ute...
- Nebraska hoping for balanced offense attack...
- BYU football notebook: Team captains named,...
- Damian Lillard finding success with rap...
- Morning links: 'Unorthodox' Harbaugh; 'nice'...
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 92
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU... 64
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 31
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU... 30
- Cougars looking for special season with... 29
- Morning links: Can Cougars snap... 26
- BYU football: With opener one week... 23
- BYU basketball: What we learned from 4... 16