Jonathan Ferrey, Getty Images
Midfielders Johnny Steele and Kyle Beckerman each scored in the last four minutes of the match as Real Salt Lake stole a 3-2 comeback victory over the Portland Timbers at JELD-WEN Stadium in Portland on Saturday night.
RSL led 1-0 at halftime through an Alvaro Saborio penalty kick, awarded after Portland handled the ball in their own penalty area. But a pair of fantastic strikes by Timbers forward Darlington Nagbe left Portland in charge of the match until the final moments.
Steele came on as a late second-half substitute and immediately made his presence felt as RSL threw numbers forward in search of an equalizer. His 89th-minute shot dove inside the near post after deft touches from teammates Will Johnson and Javier Morales.
Beckerman capped the game in stoppage time with a strong volley that flew past Portland keeper Troy Perkins and into the corner of the net.
RSL improved their record to 3-1-0 (9 points) with the win. Portland fell to 1-2-1 (4 points).
- Newcomers enjoy BYU hoops debut in Cougar Tipoff
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the...
- Live streams: 2A & 3A volleyball championship...
- High school football: Improbable final play...
- Felt's Facts, playoff edition: Newcomers,...
- Former BYU pitcher Jeremy Guthrie's little...
- Mormons in the rodeo: LDS competitors find...
- Utah Jazz fall to Rockets on opening night
- BYU needs win at Middle Tennessee to... 78
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 58
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 54
- High school football: State tournament... 50
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- BYU men, women both picked to finish... 32
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the... 30