Jonathan Ferrey, Getty Images
Midfielders Johnny Steele and Kyle Beckerman each scored in the last four minutes of the match as Real Salt Lake stole a 3-2 comeback victory over the Portland Timbers at JELD-WEN Stadium in Portland on Saturday night.
RSL led 1-0 at halftime through an Alvaro Saborio penalty kick, awarded after Portland handled the ball in their own penalty area. But a pair of fantastic strikes by Timbers forward Darlington Nagbe left Portland in charge of the match until the final moments.
Steele came on as a late second-half substitute and immediately made his presence felt as RSL threw numbers forward in search of an equalizer. His 89th-minute shot dove inside the near post after deft touches from teammates Will Johnson and Javier Morales.
Beckerman capped the game in stoppage time with a strong volley that flew past Portland keeper Troy Perkins and into the corner of the net.
RSL improved their record to 3-1-0 (9 points) with the win. Portland fell to 1-2-1 (4 points).
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Brad Rock: Utah's Travis Wilson needs another...
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 86
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 51
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 36
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 35
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33