Jonathan Ferrey, Getty Images
Midfielders Johnny Steele and Kyle Beckerman each scored in the last four minutes of the match as Real Salt Lake stole a 3-2 comeback victory over the Portland Timbers at JELD-WEN Stadium in Portland on Saturday night.
RSL led 1-0 at halftime through an Alvaro Saborio penalty kick, awarded after Portland handled the ball in their own penalty area. But a pair of fantastic strikes by Timbers forward Darlington Nagbe left Portland in charge of the match until the final moments.
Steele came on as a late second-half substitute and immediately made his presence felt as RSL threw numbers forward in search of an equalizer. His 89th-minute shot dove inside the near post after deft touches from teammates Will Johnson and Javier Morales.
Beckerman capped the game in stoppage time with a strong volley that flew past Portland keeper Troy Perkins and into the corner of the net.
RSL improved their record to 3-1-0 (9 points) with the win. Portland fell to 1-2-1 (4 points).
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 80
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 62
- Bruins bruise Utes in 69-59 upset 40
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball,... 34