"Have a talk with yourself in the mirror and ask: Where do I stand on living my covenants?" Elder Hales said. "We are on the right path when we can say: I worthily partake of the sacrament each week, I am worthy to hold a temple recommend, and I sacrifice to serve and bless others."
Elder Holland used Jesus' parable of the laborers in the vineyard to teach "the renewing power of God's love and the miracle of his grace."
"His concern is for the faith at which you finally arrive, not for the hour of the day in which you got there," Elder Holland said. "So if you have made covenants, keep them. If you haven't made them, make them. If you have made them and broken them, repent and repair them. It is never too late so long as the Master of the Vineyard says there is time."
And Elder Quentin L. Cook of the Twelve referred to a statement made last December by Chief Rabbi Lord Sacks of England, who noted how secular some parts of the world have become through "an aggressive scientific atheism tone deaf to the music of faith."
"Above all else, each of us must realize that when one is tone deaf to the music of faith, he or she is out of tune with the spirit," Elder Cook said. "Our doctrine is clear: we are to be positive and of good cheer. We emphasize our faith, not our fears. We rejoice in the Lord's assurance that he will stand by us and give us guidance and direction."
Other speakers during the session were Elder David S. Baxter of the Seventy and Elder Ulisses Soares of the Seventy.
Music for the session was provided by a special choir from the Missionary Training Center in Provo, Utah. (And yes, a new missionary who entered the MTC last Wednesday — Elder David Archuleta — sang in the choir.)
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings 'Happy' medley...
- Motherhood Matters: 3 unbelievably simple...
- What life was like for the Mormon pioneers...
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest?
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Who were the first 3...
- New study: Mormon pioneers were safer on trek...
- Defending the Faith: Remembering the Exodus...
- LDS Church to break ground next month for...
- New study: Mormon pioneers were safer... 71
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest? 60
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby... 50
- Observers uncertain about the impact of... 42
- What does the Mormon 'temperature'... 39
- LDS Church to break ground next month... 27
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Who were the... 12