Utah football: Utes have had 'A+' practices so far this spring
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah's spring practices are 40 percent complete. The Utes wrapped up the sixth of 15 scheduled sessions Friday at Rice-Eccles Stadium.
After grading the first week of camp as an "A-plus," Utah coach Kyle Whittingham also had good things to say about the one that followed.
"It was a solid week and we're making progress," he said. "The key is that everybody gets better fundamentally and technique-wise. There's not a lot of scheming going on in spring."
Although first-year coordinator Brian Johnson is introducing some new elements to the offense, the main focus in spring ball is to make sure "that everybody is improving as a football player individually."
And after six practices, Whittingham said he pleased with what he's seeing.
So, too, are the players.
"I think we're where we need to be," said quarterback Jordan Wynn. "We're doing OK."
The junior quarterback noted that the offense started off Friday's scrimmage well, but didn't finish off as strong as he would have liked in the two-minute drill at the end. That, he added, is something they're determined to find a way to improve on.
"I'm happy with where we're at," Wynn said. "We've just got to continue to improve and not be happy with the success that we've been having."
On the other side of the ball, defensive end Joe Kruger is pleased with the progress being made in camp.
"I think we're looking good," Kruger said. "We've got a lot of young players coming up, especially on the d-line, but I think it's looking good so far. Everyone's just got to keep working hard, get in their playbook and get their plays down."
Other than that, he added, there are just a few things to clean up.
The Utes resume practice on Tuesday, kicking off the final three weeks of spring ball.
"We don't want to have any steps backwards," Whittingham said. "We don't want a bad practice and so far we've been able to avoid that."
- Utah high schoolers who've reached the Super...
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles West...
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight road...
- Utah Utes still pursuing several big-time...
- With rookie Dante Exum in starting lineup,...
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to the...
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke comes off...
- Gutsy guard: Perseverance has paid off for...
- Brad Rock: BYU asleep at the switch on... 98
- BYU, Michigan State agree to... 87
- Memphis to punish 12 players for role... 78
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 60
- Dick Harmon: BYU continuing new policy... 52
- Utah football: Utes add former BYU... 50
- Morning links: Home stretch of... 31
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 27