Darron Cummings, Associated Press
INDIANAPOLIS — Michael Phelps posted the best in-season time of his career in the 400 IM on Friday night, holding off Tyler Clary's late charge at the Indianapolis Grand Prix.
Phelps slashed more seconds off his season-best time, finishing in 4 minutes, 12.51 seconds and possibly opening the door to swim the event at the London Olympics. Clary's time was 4:13.01.
Ryan Lochte, Phelps' biggest rival, led through the first three turns of the 200 backstroke but his final split of 31.80 dropped him to fourth.
Phelps and Lochte are expected to go head-to-head Saturday in the 200 IM.
Allison Schmitt beat three other Olympians in the women's 200 freestyle, including Missy Franklin. Franklin came right back to win the 200 backstroke in the next event by 1.5 seconds.
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars looms...
- BYU-Memphis an 'intriguing' bowl matchup
- Gordon Hayward happy to be moving on with...
- Miami Beach Bowl live coverage: BYU vs....
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Cougars gain a lot over Final Four weekend...
- Wyoming transfer Jason Thompson makes Utah...
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 55
- Miami Beach Bowl live coverage: BYU vs.... 47
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Brad Rock: This is where conference... 36
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 35
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars... 26