SALT LAKE CITY — Look who's atop the National Conference West Division after three weeks.
The Utah Blaze improved to 2-1 after their second consecutive win in thrilling fashion over the AFL's No. 1 rated club, San Jose and took over the top spot.
"Well, I think this team should be undefeated right now," said Utah coach Ron James after a, 60-59, win over the SaberCats. "I think we should have won the game down in San Antonio. We have to come out stronger (Saturday) and play a good game against New Orleans"
Utah is seeking its longest win streak under James' tutelage when it faces the VooDoo at EnergySolutions Arena at 8 p.m. tonight.
New Orleans, which has been near the bottom of the AFL standings each season, will look to avenge it's 2011 loss in Salt Lake City and garnish its first win this season.
James isn't taking the 0-2 VooDoo lightly.
"New Orleans is a talented team," James said in a press release. "When you watch their games, you can easily see that their current record does not reflect the type of ballclub they have. It's only a matter of time before the VooDoo start turning things around."
For the VooDoo, moving the ball isn't the issue at hand. Behind quarterback Kurt Rocco, who last year passed for 3,834 yards and 72 scores as a member of the Cleveland Gladiators, New Orleans ranks second in the AFL in total offensive production (349.5 ypg) and third in passing offense (323.5 ypg).
Blaze on the air
New Orleans VooDoo (0-2)
at Utah Blaze (2-1)
Saturday, 8 p.m.
TV: KMYU Radio: 1280 AM
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- The photos from the seats and the sideline...
- BYU moves up one spot in AP poll, heads into...
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- Former BYU tight end Dennis Pitta's season is...
- BYU supports Virginia kicker whose dad...
- Utah football notes: Paul makes quite a splash
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 139
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 90
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 76
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to... 70
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 53
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart... 32
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset,... 29