Unsealed warrants reveal new details against Josh Powell
• Police were seeking journals belonging to Susan Powell and digital media that could be related to Susan Powell's disappearance. The journals detailed the couple's marital strife beginning in 2005 through to a final entry on Oct. 26, 2009. The woman wrote about Steven Powell beginning in 2002.
"Susan states how she does not want Steven Powell involved in her life, her children's life and how she wishes Joshua Powell would eliminate Steven Powell from his life," the warrant states.
Attorneys for Steven Powell appeared in Pierce County Superior Court Friday asking to have the search warrants served on Powell's house and vehicles unsealed. Their motion went uncontested and the hearing lasted only a minute.
The motion was to unseal search warrants served on the Puyallup home of Steven Powell and his son, Josh Powell, in August of 2011, and a subsequent search on Sept. 17, 2011.
Steven Powell's defense attorneys say the evidence collected from the Powell house should be thrown out because the search was unconstitutional, calling the effort by police nothing more than a "random fishing expedition style search." The initial search was conducted by West Valley police who traveled to Puyallup, Wash., to search the Powell home as part of their investigation into the disappearance of Josh Powell's wife, Susan Cox Powell.
A hearing on the motion to toss out the evidence is scheduled for April 23. But in order for attorneys to argue the validity of the search warrants, they have to be available in open court.
Steven Powell's trial is scheduled to begin May 7.
Powell, 61, has been in jail since September when he was charged with 14 counts of voyeurism and one count of possession of materials of minors engaged in explicit conduct. He is accused of taking pictures of two neighbor girls, then ages 8 and 10, through an open window into their bathroom without their knowledge in 2006 and 2007.
Susan Powell has been missing from Utah since 2009. Josh Powell murdered his two young sons and then killed himself by setting his rental home in Graham, Wash., on fire earlier this year.
- Husband and wife of 74 years die hours apart...
- Hundreds search for missing Provo woman who...
- Former wrestlers charged, assistant coach...
- Former Romney finance chairman courting a...
- Ed and Elizabeth Smart make plea for help in...
- Utah construction companies fined, ordered to...
- 22 songs Utahns love singing in the car
- Utah man accused of rape is no stranger to...
- Utah GOP leaders going forward with new... 60
- Josh Romney: I won't run against Sen.... 57
- Former Romney finance chairman courting... 53
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy... 43
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and... 21
- Former wrestlers charged, assistant... 20
- Former Davis High teacher admits to... 19
- Utah high school students unprepared... 15