Unsealed warrants reveal new details against Josh Powell
Laura Seitz, Laura Seitz, Deseret News
WEST VALLEY CITY — Search warrants unsealed Friday revealed many new details in the Susan Cox Powell case, including information that her blood was found in the couple's West Valley City home.
Police reported that they found her blood in the home she shared with her husband Joshua Powell and the their two children. The blood was found on a tile floor area near a sofa.
"Forensic tests of this blood indicated it was Susan Powell's," the warrant states.
In the warrants, police also outlined suspicious behavior by Josh Powell the day his wife was reported missing. The documents say Josh Powell last used his phone on Sunday, Dec. 6, 2009, at 12:14 p.m. when he called his father, Steven Powell. Josh Powell's next mobile phone activity was not until Monday, Dec. 7, at 3:02 p.m. when a neighbor called and asked him where he was. Soon after, Josh left a voicemail message on his wife's cell phone asking if she needed a ride home from work.
But the warrant states Susan Powell's cell phone was in the center console of the vehicle Josh Powell was driving. It was missing the digital SIM card and Josh Powell did not have an answer as to why his wife's cell phone was in the car. The phone had been turned off.
Josh Powell's sister, Jennifer Graves, called him at 5:27 p.m. that Monday and asked him where he had been. Josh Powell told her he had been at work.
"When Jennifer Graves told Joshua Powell she knew he was lying, Josh Powell then changed his story, telling her that he was camping," the warrant states.
Police made contact with Josh Powell through Jennifer Graves' cell phone at 5:45 p.m., but Powell didn't arrive at his residence until 6:40 p.m.
Police found a generator, tarps, a shovel, a gas can and blankets in the vehicle Josh Powell was driving, according to the warrant. He later told authorities he was testing out a new generator, that he thought it was Sunday and didn't call in to work when he realized it was Monday because he was afraid he would be fired.
On Dec. 8, 2009, Josh Powell rented a rental car at the airport after police seized his family's van. When he returned it, it had 800 miles on it. He also purchased a new cell phone that was activated in Tremonton, the warrant states.
Days later, Josh Powell called the daycare provider for the couple's two children and told her the children were not coming back "and she probably will not ever see them again." He cancelled all of Susan Powell's future chiropractor's appointments and provided a power of attorney to Wells Fargo that allowed him to empty Susan Powell's IRA accounts."
The search warrants contain other information, including:
• West Valley police said the crimes of murder, kidnapping and obstruction of a pubic servant occurred on Dec. 6, 2009 in West Valley City.
• The last phone call made or received from Susan Powell's cell phone was at 2:29 p.m. on Dec. 6, 2009, when she called a friend.
• Police state that their investigation revealed the couple was having marital problems and that Josh Powell "was the beneficiary of several life insurance policies" totaling $1.5 million on Susan Powell.
• Police also found a safe deposit box containing a letter Susan Powell had written to her family dated January 2008 that she did not trust her husband and that "if (she) dies it may not be an accident, even if it looks like one."
She asks in the letter that if something were to happen to her, Graves should be contacted.
• One month after Susan went missing, the couple's oldest son, Charlie Powell, told a primary teacher "my mom is dead." He told another that his mom went camping with them, but didn't come home. He did not know why.
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,...
- Police: Panhandler pulls woman from car after...
- Uintah County man 'lucky to be alive' after...
- Provo ranked 4th most educated city in...
- Police chief of Myton charged with stalking 3...
- Love says commenting on Saratoga Springs...
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 69
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while... 53
- Police break silence about... 49
- Friends, family, strangers gather at... 35
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 33
- Utah, Western states say feds are all... 25
- New definition of homeless would give... 21
- Saratoga Springs police chief calls... 18